Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

A8 stalling dealer may be screwing me

Old 11-05-2011, 02:30 PM
1st Gear
Default A8 stalling dealer may be screwing me

So I've got a '00 Audi a8 that's been stalling out on me. The most recent job that was done was the fuel pump. When I dropped the car off the first time they said I needed a fuel pump relay and the holder for it and then the car won't stall. Later that night the car stalled just like it did before they changed those pieces. I dropped the car off next morning and now they say that after disconnecting my abs module they were able to pull a faulty speed sensor code. They covered the second diagnosis and they covered the second rental but they want me to pay for the speed sensor. Shouldn't the work be done for free since they didn't fix my problem last time? They're trying to play it off like its a new problem they didn't see last time so I still have to pay.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM
2nd Gear

IF this cures it, they "should" deduct the price of the relay/holder replacement from the real problem, which was not even helped by that expense. Doesn't mean they will, but I would go up as high as possible (service manager or general manager) and NOT shut up until they make it right...they don't want bad advertising, esp if you make it clear that's what you intend to do.

What speed sensor? ...engine speed sensor, I assume.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

It was the crankshaft position sensor and it actually did solve the problem. Ive had the car for two days and so far so good. I think I mentioned earlier they gave me free diagnostics. And on the final bill the service manager ended up giving me an additional 20% off. Honestly at this point I'm just glad to have my car back. Thank you for your reply

Old 11-12-2011, 06:11 PM
1st Gear
Default free

on one hand the dealer tech is not capable enough to diagnose the problem or don't have enough information or was not able to duplicate the concern.
at that point he/she went by probabilities' on which the fuel pump or relay have the highest percentage.
on the other hand they suck at working on cars and actually doing you a favor.
they had to disconnect the ABS unit to be able to communicate with the data link system.
that unit should be replace before any continuation is followed in your car.
as you stated the relay housing was melted, that means it was a bad part and should be replaced, ever cross your mind that both parts were creating the same problem?.
just because they fix something does not mean they "SHOULD" work on your car for free from there on.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by silverd2
IF this cures it, they "should" deduct the price of the relay/holder replacement from the real problem, which was not even helped by that expense. Doesn't mean they will, but I would go up as high as possible (service manager or general manager) and NOT shut up until they make it right...they don't want bad advertising, esp if you make it clear that's what you intend to do.

What speed sensor? ...engine speed sensor, I assume.
Wheel speed sensor ?