Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Brake rotors for A8

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
1st Gear
Question Brake rotors for A8

In a few posts in this forum it was mentioned that the brake rotos should also be replaced at times, when renewing the brakepads.
My A8 has about 86K mileage on it and off and on while applying on the brakes at speeds 50 miles and higher, the from of the car starts waving and slightly shaking. I was wondering if changing the brake rotors would help or is that just worn out brkae pads. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Old 08-30-2011, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

Rotors are warped time for replacement.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mblayton
Rotors are warped time for replacement.
Thank you for your input.
Well, I took a look at the service history of the car, it seems that the front rotors were replaced at 50K miles. I think the rear ones are still the original thoug. Do you think I should replace all 4 rotors now?
In terms of the ceramic pads, are they noisy? DO they last less than the regular ones?

Thank you again,

A.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by abarmard
Thank you for your input.
Well, I took a look at the service history of the car, it seems that the front rotors were replaced at 50K miles. I think the rear ones are still the original thoug. Do you think I should replace all 4 rotors now?
I'd replace all 4 if it was mine.

Haven't had to do brakes on mine yet, but there is much discussion on how often rotors should be replace on these cars.
General consensus seems to be every second set of brake pads.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jakematic
I'd replace all 4 if it was mine.

Haven't had to do brakes on mine yet, but there is much discussion on how often rotors should be replace on these cars.
General consensus seems to be every second set of brake pads.
Agreed, each rotor can go through 2 sets of pads...has always worked out that way with me...VW, Porsche and current A8. I always mic em, to check for wear limit (usually 1 mm on each side) and have never had one set of pads eat that far.
And in general, with everything working properly, rear pads/and rotors last almost twice as long as fronts...front do almost all the work, and engineering goes a long way to see to that...even without ABS working...for safety.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

you will need a Ross-tech VAG COM to get the rear handbrake to release, so you can change the pads and the rotor.