Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

D3 A8 passenger CV keeps popping off of shaft after changing boots

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 07:35 AM
1st Gear
Default D3 A8 passenger CV keeps popping off of shaft after changing boots

HI All,

I recently had to replace the inner and out CV boots for the passenger side axle. I bought the proper kits (GKN) and installed the boots and regreased everything. The first time it happened I had only driven about 50 miles and I figured maybe I didn't seat the CV properly. The second time it happened I went about 100 miles before the CV popped off again, stranding me 50 miles from home. I made sure to replace the circlip and watched as I seated it before reinstalling. Any thoughts about what I may have missed or done wrong? I've done so many of these on Golf, Passats and my A4 without issue. What I did notice is that there is only a circlip on the A8 shaft while on the past ones I've done there was a spring washer and a plastic piece that were installed along with the circlip. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

Old 10-27-2023, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

i did all four of mine about four months ago. there is a dished washer, a plastic 'spacer" and lastly a circlip; on the outer end(wheel end).
You may have the sides swapped. One side is longer than the other. Also possible you didnt clock the CV joint correctly, the center section with the ***** inside of the CV stub . it will go together wrong from what i remember.

Old 10-28-2023, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by glenbjackson
i did all four of mine about four months ago. there is a dished washer, a plastic 'spacer" and lastly a circlip; on the outer end(wheel end).
You may have the sides swapped. One side is longer than the other. Also possible you didnt clock the CV joint correctly, the center section with the ***** inside of the CV stub . it will go together wrong from what i remember.
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't have mixed up the sides as I only did the passenger side. I was looking for the dished washer and spacer but they were not there when I disassembled it which I found odd. Every other axle I've done had the spacer and dished washer. Also the only thing in the boot kit was the circlip, boot and band clamps. First time this happened to me since I've been working on these cars.