Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

D3 Brake Pad question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:29 PM
1st Gear
Default D3 Brake Pad question

Any thoughts on aftermarket brake pads for my 2004 A8L? My front pads are getting low, so I need to start looking for a replacement. I'm not very impressed with the factory pads (then again, I'm used to driving an Evo and R32 ) ... so:

How are the EBC pads? I am especially interested in a pad that has good initial bite. I don't care too much about brake dust ... I don't mind hosing down my wheels once a week.

From my little amount of research it sounds like changing the front pads is pretty easy and the rear pads require VAG-COM assistance to disengage the parking brake, correct?

Also, does anyone have the minimum acceptable rotor width specs?

l8r)

Old 07-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Site Moderator

The stock brake pads have amazing bite, i just think you got the car with them already worn. The stock rotors have extremely soft metal, so aftermarket pads like ones from EBC tend to eat up the rotors very fast. The rotors are about $200 a pop if i remember right, (it could have gone down) however your rotors may already be shot and glazed, which is why your stopping distance is in the pooper. From my experience A8 front rotors only last about 75k. So if you are close to that mileage i would recommend getting new rotors then using whichever pad you want, just stay away from ceramics. Ceramics increase pedal effort, increase heat applied to the rotor, the pads crack, they squeak etc. The only thing good about them is they produce almost no brake dust. Not worth it if you don't plan on plowing into the back of a truck....
The front brake pads are easy to change, just a couple bolts to remove. The rears as you said requires the vag com to release the electronic E brake.
I don't know the specs of the rotor, but if you are over 50k, you could bet money the rotors need replacing.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

Looks like all 4 corners were done (pads and rotors) with ~64K on the clock, so the current pads and rotors should have about 40K on them. Even taking into account the fact that the current pads and rotors are far from being in great shape, and that a new set would surely be an improvement, if I'm going to change them out, I would much prefer to install a pad that has better initial bite and is rated for a higher temperature range. I don't flog the car often, but when I do, it'll be nice to have some decent brakes to go with it.

BTW, do they make SS braided brake lines for the D3?

l8r)

Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Site Moderator

They do, but i have only seen them with big brake upgrade kits. If you want them i would call LLTEK. I don't think you need them though. They also sell the EBC pads.
http://www.lltek.com/brakes.htm

Old 07-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Site Moderator

Scratch that, found you better ones
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-D3_A8-...o-4.2/Braking/

Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

Funny how ECS carries aftermarket rear brake pads, but only OEM for the front. Hrmph!

l8r)

Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Site Moderator

LOL. You're right, i didn't even notice that..

Old 07-19-2009, 04:57 AM
Default D3 Brake Pad question

hey all, my 08 TT has 77k miles on it, and my brake pad warning light came on today. this is surprising, because i just replaced my pads with ceramics at 70k.

is this warning light connected to a sensor, similar to the light bulbs, or is it just set off by mileage / time? im debating whether or not this is worth the hassle of going back to the shop...

Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ludikraut
Looks like all 4 corners were done (pads and rotors) with ~64K on the clock, so the current pads and rotors should have about 40K on them. Even taking into account the fact that the current pads and rotors are far from being in great shape, and that a new set would surely be an improvement, if I'm going to change them out, I would much prefer to install a pad that has better initial bite and is rated for a higher temperature range. I don't flog the car often, but when I do, it'll be nice to have some decent brakes to go with it.

BTW, do they make SS braided brake lines for the D3?

l8r)
Did you find any good brake pads? I have 55k on my A8 and when I floor it the brake light comes on, probably because of the low brake fluid level, so I need to find some good brake pads. Do I have to change the rotors too?