Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Debating on the A8

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Ink
Arrow Debating on the A8

Hey all, I've been reading this forum for quite a while now but only now decided to register as I had some questions.

Currently I drive a 1998 A6 Quattro 2.8, been driving it for almost a year and I absolutely love it, hands down the best car I've ever driven, but given its age, and how poorly the previous owner(s) maintained it, well, some problems are starting to arise so I was hoping to upgrade sometime sooner rather then later.

At first I was looking at just upgrading to a newer A6, something around 2003-2005ish time, and preferably a wagon, but then I had a glance at the A8s and my thoughts on what to get shifted slightly. Surprisingly, they don't cost all that much more then the A6s of the same age, while appearing to be that much better all around.

So I had a few questions, obviously I'm not expecting any one person to answer them all, but would be nice if you could throw in your thoughts an opinions and at least answer some of the questions.

• First of all, the most obvious question, engines. Take the A6s an it seems like while the 2.8s are the most popular, the 4.2s seem to be the most reliable, so what's the case with the A8 models, is there any specific engine that I should look for, are there any specific problems I should be looking for when getting one etc.

• Second, a relatively minor thing, but was just wondering. In my A6, when I have the side mirror adjustment controller, set to the passenger side mirror, and when I'm backing up, the mirror tilts down as far as it can go to show me a view of the ground. vs when the controller is just in the central position, the mirrors stay still while I go in reverse. I was just wondering, does the A8 does that too? I do find that feature quite handy when parking.

• Third, spare tire. On my A6, the spare is just a slim donut (despite the fact that a full size tire fits perfectly into the compartment in the trunk). Do the A8s come with a full size replacement, or just a tiny temporary thing?

• Fourth, Do the A8s have rear fog lights as do the A6s?

• Fifth, while not too important, given how powerful they are, has anyone ever towed anything with an A8? Obviously I'm not suggesting towing 30 foot boats, but just small, lightweight trailers, anyone here have any experience with that?

• Sixth, roof racks/rails. So far, not once have I seen a single A8 with either a roof rack. Is there anything to prevent that, or do the A8 owners generally not go out anywhere with their bicycles etc?

• Finally, what do you personally think is a reasonable price to pay for a 2004-2005 A8/A8L with no more then say 90,000 miles on it? I see a lot of such selling for 15-18k - is that about the right price for them, or...?

Either way, I think I'm gonna leave it at that for now. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Last edited by Ink; 09-07-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

1: There are tons of posts covering the best models for an A8. I own a 2005 and all 2007 and up I believe have the FSI engine with a timing chain not belt, so no expensive deed to be done there.

2. The mirror thing I've never noticed, as I've never backed up with the mirror adjuster in any position other than straight on, but I will try this and get back to you.

3. The spare tire is a full rim in my car, with a pirelli p-zero on it.

4. Yes they do have rear fog lights, if you really call them fog lights lol, more like bright backup lights.

5. I've never heard of anyone towing anything with the A8 but I know it sure as hell can. Just the towing piece is quite pricey to add to the car.

6. I have never seen a roof rack on an A8 as it would take away from the slim smooth look of the car and I wouldn't advice putting on on the car anyway, thats what jeeps and mini-vans are for Trunk is huge though, although still wouldn't fit a bike.
The right price for a 2005 A8 is around 15-18k I'd say.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Ink

Originally Posted by Brozee
1: There are tons of posts covering the best models for an A8. I own a 2005 and all 2007 and up I believe have the FSI engine with a timing chain not belt, so no expensive deed to be done there.

2. The mirror thing I've never noticed, as I've never backed up with the mirror adjuster in any position other than straight on, but I will try this and get back to you.

3. The spare tire is a full rim in my car, with a pirelli p-zero on it.

4. Yes they do have rear fog lights, if you really call them fog lights lol, more like bright backup lights.

5. I've never heard of anyone towing anything with the A8 but I know it sure as hell can. Just the towing piece is quite pricey to add to the car.

6. I have never seen a roof rack on an A8 as it would take away from the slim smooth look of the car and I wouldn't advice putting on on the car anyway, thats what jeeps and mini-vans are for Trunk is huge though, although still wouldn't fit a bike.
The right price for a 2005 A8 is around 15-18k I'd say.
4. Well, can't really call them 'bright backup lights' either given that they work even while moving forward. Living in MI especially I do quite love having them. I mean they do help out quite a ton when people are traveling behind you in a snow storm I don't trust them to stop, but at least the probability of them seeing me are quite a bit higher.

6. Well, I do ride my bike quite a lot to, so would be nice for my daily driver to be able to handle something so basic. Oh well, I guess as much of an extra pita those are, I can always go with a trunk rack if I could even find a fitting one

Old 09-07-2010, 06:01 PM
2nd Gear

About the trunk in A8's: The back seats do NOT fold down, so it's just the trunk. A8's are more about smooth, quiet driving and uniqueness....hauling? ...not so much.

Here's a few recent threads about A8's...mostly:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=155986

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=153474

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=153973

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=112161

Old 09-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Ink

Originally Posted by silverd2
About the trunk in A8's: The back seats do NOT fold down, so it's just the trunk. A8's are more about smooth, quiet driving and uniqueness....hauling? ...not so much.
Hmm, well, as I said, I don't care too much for "hauling" but hmm, it is nice to be able to transport something big once in a while.

Hmm, I guess at least the trunk is quite massive in size...

Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Ink

Something else I'm wondering about guys,

Take a car like the A8, which new, costs 70-80k, and most people who get them typically stick with them for a good 4-5 years after buying them I would guess... One would imagine that if you're in a financial position to be buying such an expensive vehicle, you sure as hell have the money to be doing all the proper maintenance on time, getting everything fixed as it needs to be etc...

So my question is, when buying used A8s, which are 4-5 years old, what do you guys typically encounter when it comes to the condition of the car? By condition I mean all the relatively serious mechanical problems. When you buy these cars are they for the most part up on their maintenance, or do the owners not care?

For example you buy some Chevy, and you know that sure has hell the previous owners probably changed the oil there once in every 20k miles and filled it up with the cheapest fuel possible so you can't really be expecting too much in terms of such vehicles being in good condition, but A8s? What have your experiences been with that?

Old 09-08-2010, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear

Most owners that buy new, do what the dealer tells them to do under warranty, but if scheduled maintenance is not covered by the warranty (T-belt change for example), the ones that plan to keep the car for a while past that have had it done...others sell the car and save the $$ towards a down payment on another new one.
So depends on the mileage AND the owner's reason for selling. It's also said that D3's can wear out suspension arms in as little as 50K miles (?).
I have an '01 D2 with 102K miles and all original suspension parts (except tie rod ends, replaced at 80K) are still tight and quiet, but that may not be typical (?). I've always babied the car and only say nice things to it...they are alive, you know ...I'm still on the original battery, strong as brand new.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

I've posted the history of my '04 here.

Remember to budget for some maintenance. Timing belt is due at around 75K,which will set you back $2500 ... maybe less if you get a good deal. Coils will most likely start to go out at about 90K, but Audi is replacing them under warranty now, I think.

Not trying to scare ya - I've had mine now for over a year (bought with 100K on the clock), and I have had no issues with it at all. Only maintenance so far has been an oil change, which I did myself. When I was looking for an A8 last year, I always figured in the price of maintenance over then next 12/24/36 months when looking at the price of the car - i.e., if the car has 65K miles on it, then I'd add $2500 to the 'cost', since I know I'd have to have the timing belt service performed within the next year. To me the absolutely best find is a privately owned, well maintained car (with the records to prove it).

An A8 can be used to tow small trailers, but as with anything A8 related, the hitch is $$$. I wish we could get the diesel engine for it here in the US, then I could use it to tow my Evo around.

If you get an A8 with the winter package (heated seats, ski bag), then you will be able to haul 8' 2x4s (tight fit). If you mod the ski bag, you can easily carry 10' long conduit/2x4's, etc.

With 116K on the clock, my suspension bushings are starting to wear - definitely something I will be working on this winter.

l8r)

Old 09-10-2010, 11:54 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ludikraut
I've posted the history of my '04 here.

Remember to budget for some maintenance. Timing belt is due at around 75K,which will set you back $2500 ... maybe less if you get a good deal. Coils will most likely start to go out at about 90K, but Audi is replacing them under warranty now, I think.

If you get an A8 with the winter package (heated seats, ski bag), then you will be able to haul 8' 2x4s (tight fit). If you mod the ski bag, you can easily carry 10' long conduit/2x4's, etc.

l8r)
2500 is the high dealer end of an all inclusive belt job...it can be done dependably much cheaper. I'd shop for a quality indy for that....DIY is WAY under a thousand, tools included.

The winter package sure does come in handy...I can actually fit a full sized gas weedeater in my unmodified ski sock. Love the heated seats, too...even use em during summer sometimes for an intermittent lower back problem...that and the lumbar support adjustment...up and down....ahhhhhhh

Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

I agree, I just bought a whole timing belt kit from blauparts online, and it cost $550 including shipping and the tensioner dampener. Dealer charged $825 for the labor.

Quick Reply: Debating on the A8