Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A8
Diagnostic Trouble Code reader >

Diagnostic Trouble Code reader

Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Diagnostic Trouble Code reader

Old 07-21-2010, 07:42 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Diagnostic Trouble Code reader

Good morning folks,

I was looking @ this device;
Roadi RDT55 Diagnostic Trouble Code Reader for Volkswagen and Audi Vehicles with OBDII Vehicle Live Data
Any body had any experience with this or any other simmilar device? Does this work with Audi A8L 2004? Does it make any sence to purchase one? Any other device you recommend?

Thank you,
A.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Looks like is should work just fine.

However, most folks (me included) seem to like the Ross-Tech Vag-Com. You need a laptop for the Vag-Com but it offers you a lot more options, like programming individual modules, than just a reader/reset device.

You can purchase a cheapie ebay USB cable and run the freeware version of the Ross-Tech software (VCDS) or you can pay for the "official" Ross-Tech cable and run the full version of the software.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Free Software??!!

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau View Post
Looks like is should work just fine.

However, most folks (me included) seem to like the Ross-Tech Vag-Com. You need a laptop for the Vag-Com but it offers you a lot more options, like programming individual modules, than just a reader/reset device.

You can purchase a cheapie ebay USB cable and run the freeware version of the Ross-Tech software (VCDS) or you can pay for the "official" Ross-Tech cable and run the full version of the software.
Thank you very much for the reply,
As matter of fact I DO HAVE a Mac. laptop, so, all I need is the Interface USB cable and then I can down load the software free from Internet? It seems too easy?! Is the full version of the software also free?
Tnx,
A.[/COLOR
][/COLOR]

Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

The software is free. the licensed cables have a code programmed into them that unlocks the full version of the software, but any usb to 16 pin OBD-II style can be used with the free version of the software. some folks report that ultra-cheap cables don't work but I suspect problems with the cable not the software.

currently the software is Windoze only, wont work OS X and there are no plans to port it. People have reported varying levels of success using boot camp. the software doesn't require a lot of computing power. you can probably pick up an old windows laptop on ebay for super cheap