Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

MMI has mind of its own - and shuts me out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Default MMI has mind of its own - and shuts me out!

Hi,

I have a 2003 A8 4.2 D3. I have had it for only a couple of weeks.

All of a sudden the MMI decides today that I can only change radio volume and then after a minutes shuts itself down. I can start it up again by pressing the on button or starting the engine again, but then after a minute it shuts down again, and in the meantime none of the buttons work, so I can't do a reset or change radio station or go to navigation etc. Funnily enough the voice-control still works and lets me change to phone/CD/Nav etc...

Any ideas? I do have to add that my keyless entry is not working, so maybe the car thinks it is not running, and thus shuts the MMI down?

Cheers
Paul

Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 AM
1st Gear

I also own a 2003 A8 D3. The MMI still works OK but the TV icon disappear ie i can't turn on the TV. The keyless entry fail to work 2 years ago and the dealer quote a new ECU is require and cost almost 1000 pounds. I never get that change but 10 months ago the fault disappear and it's been working OK. I don't know how it works again but the dealer had remove the the rear door panels to treat some rust on the windows moulding 10 months ago

Old 09-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Site Moderator

Given that its an earlier model D3 i would say its software issues. Audi has come out with reflashes for various problems from the MMI randomly shutting off, to not being able to scroll downwards on the MMI screen. There most likely won't be any fault codes stored in the fiber optic data loop either.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks.

In reply to Schiu, one of the technicians said it could be a door handle. In my case it isn't (new keyless entry ECU and a steering column ECU are required acc to Audi - total £900), but maybe in your case it was.

I have confirmed there are no faults stored, but it gives me exactly 40 secs of music. Funny thing is that when the engine is off but key still in ignition, it comes up by itself every 20 sec, for five sec each... I am thinking of getting the keyless entry fixed and making sure that fault is not interfering with the MMI. I can live without keyless entry, but not without music/nav/phone... so will need to get it all done. Will report back in a week or two.

Paul

Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Site Moderator

I can't live without keyless entry Im such a snob LOL.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

Did you manage to get the MMI fix. I 've been to the dealer but they said my tv tuner is not working and they want 1000 euros for a new tuner before they reset the tv function. I've checked the tv tuner and it is hot when the car is running so i assume it is in working condition. I don't want to go back to the dealer as it is the only one in HONG KONG . Is there any other ways to reflash the MMI for the tv function to work again , i am thinking of purchasing the vag-com but will it do the job .