Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Multiple Issues with 2005 A8L

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Multiple Issues with 2005 A8L

Hello All:

I have THREE separate issues with my 2005 A8L I thought one of you experts maybe able to help me with some ideas on how to rectify the issues.

1) Windshield wiper fluid leak: - I noticed about a week ago some slight dripping in my drive way, so I started monitoring the leak, which turn out to be my windshield fluid. I tested my theory by spraying everything out till the warning light "top washer fluid" came on. Then I filled it right up (light disappeared) but I kept seeing the leak (fluid leaked to a low level within 4-days to trigger warning light again).

How can I fix this?

Moving on to next TWO issues that are linked, - I had someone scratch my rear bumper 2-weeks ago, and I put the car in the shop to have scratches repaired and painted. When I got the car back, I noticed that when I shift into reverse my park distance alarm stays on constantly even without anything behind me - (which it never used to). Also, I noticed that the "graduated beeps" - that intensifies as you get closer to an object has disappeared as well.

How do I rectify or restore it back to normal?

My final question (which is weird) is I noticed that the left exhaust pipe is about 1/2 - 1-inch longer (sticking out) compared to the right one! It puzzled me when I saw it. So I inspected under the vehicle - everything is normal, no alteration done to both exhaust, held together securely on both sides and nothing out of the norm; aging of both pipes are even (one is NOT newer than the other). Any ideas why that's the case?

And how can I fix this? Its not a big deal, but its annoying and irritating to know its there!

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 AM
1st Gear

1. Find the source of the leak and if possible just patch the crack or small hole. Might have to replace the resovoir. but I don't see why it couldn't be patched if it's a slow leak.

2. Obviously they messed something up at the shop fixing your scratch that screwed up with the sensors. The only time mine stays on constantly is when there is a lot of snow on my car or if it was sleeting and froze on a very cold night. Once warmed up or snow is gone that is gone.

3. No idea, could just be a mistake that it is shifted forward. It's possible it could be pushed back in a bit, maybe part of the tube got pushed outwards.

Generally the solution to all these problems is more or less common sense. Especially with the sensor problem. Did you let them know about it not working after they fixed it?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the great feedback. I am scheduled to take the car back to the shop tomorrow. Thanks again!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

I am not a mechanic but I did notice once upon a time that you could adjust the exhaust exit length..

2 cents

Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Administrator

I'm wondering if they slathered too much paint on the bumper. Depending on how sensitive the sensors are, I would think it's possible that too much paint (or sleet/snow buildup as Brozee saw) could be seen by the sensor as annobject behind the car at close distance, triggeringbthr constant alarm. Likewise, since backing up doesn't change the distance between the sensor and "object" (paint), the variable distance warning wouldn't change. Just an idea...