Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A8
 Newbie with window trim question >

Newbie with window trim question

Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Newbie with window trim question

Old 07-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Default Newbie with window trim question

Hello, everyone!

I've been a "lurker" for some time and appreciate the information on this site; it helped me to decide to purchase a silver/gray 2004 A8L a couple of weeks ago.It passed the PPI with no major issues and I absolutely love it!

Myquestion is about the aluminum window trim. Mine isstarting to show some oxidation/water spots and I'm not sure how to get it looking new again. Washing/buffing hasn't helped. I've tried searchingall the forum posts but haven't had any success finding a previous discussion about it. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Dan

Old 07-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Newbie with window trim question

I believe the plating is coming off of the trim, unfortunately it does happen to cars that have sat out in the sun for a long period of time. I don't believe there is gonna be a fix for this other than replacing the strip, which probably wouldn't be cheap.
If your just seeing water spots you should try using some "cutter" which is used to take swirl marks out of paint. It basically goes on like wax and you use a buffer to get it off. This will dig into the material and "cut" it out, but this may damage the strip, so i don't know.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Default RE: Newbie with window trim question

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep working on it and see if it gets any better.