Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

possible new owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:00 PM
1st Gear
Default possible new owner

Hi.
Short(ish) history.
I owned several Rover 800 models the last of which was a 2L, the skin on a rice pudding sets faster than that car went, so I vowed never again to have any car less than a V6.
So I looked around and got a very nice Lexus LS400, it was a lovely car with sat nav and the Lexus handling pack. Or should I say it was a lovely car until some lorry driver decided to stuff his truck into the side of the car and right it off.
So we needed a car quickly and we got a 2002 Lexus LS430.
I cannot say that I ever bonded with the car, its like driving a bus made of marshmallow, and its dark blue, my least favourite colour.
Then around spring time the suspension started to play up on it a bit, so I looked around for another car and a couple of months ago I bought a Mercedes S600 from a dealer in London.
On a good day the Merc is, by a long chalk, the best car I have ever driven.
But the good days are very few and very far between.
If the engine is running well then the suspension starts to play up, if the suspension is behaving then the engine develops yet another misfire, if its not misfiring then something starts to leak.
I believe that amongst its features it has ADAP, another day another problem..
So, after 4 months of ownership and parts bills heading for the £2000 mark, I have come to realise that for my sanity the Merc has to go.
I still have the Lexus, so I am looking to sell both cars as soon as I can.
Which leaves a question, what next?
My wife and I are disabled and we transport my eighty year old mother, so we need a car with a decent ride quality, and I want something with plenty of power under the bonnet.
After looking at Jaguar S Types and not being impressed with the space inside, I then thought of the Audi A8.
Thing is, I have never sat in one, let alone driven one.
So I am looking to you owners for a bit of advise if you can.
The Lexus spoiled my wife for ride comfort and the Merc dissapointed her with the ride quality, this could have been down to faulty suspension when we got the car as its not actually that bad now, but does anybody know how an A8 compares to the Lexus and the Merc an the ride front?
Something I would miss is the power boot (trunk) does the A8 have this?
Am I correct in saying that the A8 does not have air conditioned seats, just heated?
I will be looking at an 02,03 or an 04, but I understand that the 04 can be a bit temperamental, would I be best looking at a late 03?
Are there any major problems that I should look for when shopping around?
I trained as a motor engineer, so I know one end of a spanner from the other, but my health wont allow me to get down and dirty anymore so changing gearboxes is a definate no no, but I can still change the spark plugs if I need to.
thanks for any advise you can give.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:35 PM
2nd Gear

U.S. and Euro models can vary, in that different years of release for upgraded models. In the US, 2004 was the first year for the "D3" model and a little more problem prone than the 2005 and up models. D3's are upgraded on horsepower, have adjustable air suspension, power boot and other bells-n-whistles. 2007 was the first year here for the greatly improved engine (nothing wrong with previous, though)..the FSi direct injection engine, then the 2008 have greatly improved air suspension over previous models. All depends on how new you can afford. They are all outstanding, unique, all aluminum AWD masterpieces, that are a true pleasure to drive...any year model.

I can NOT help you much with comparing A8 to Lexus...in general, A8 owners want nothing to do with any Lexus...consider them dependable, rolling couch ride (not in a good way) and boring. German cars tend have all the good things about Japanese luxury models, but more fun to drive...an inherent sporting nature without the negative aspects generally associated with the word "sport".

A good place to start for standards and options from year to year (US models):
http://www.audiworld.com/model/a8/content.shtml

Old 10-24-2011, 04:31 AM
1st Gear

Actually I was looking more for a comparison to the Merc.
I dont have badge snobbery, I would drive a Hyundai if it had a V8 was comfortable and didnt fall apart every five minutes.
And the boot opened on its own!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear

Test drive a couple of A8's...different eras preferable...best way to describe the difference between them and MB.
I am a huge fan of German (and many Euro) cars...MB is not in my top 3 (or 4).