Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Replacing Fuel Pump ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by arrison24
I'm LS1Guy and can't remember my password... The videos were great and I was able to put everything back in. Is there ANY way to ensure the assembly is properly seated without buying the fancy scoping tool? I tried to start it up and its throwing the [manual says] "Malfunction Indicator Light" code. I'm assuming that means I didn't seat it correctly but since I won't be able to give it another try until tomorrow, i figured I'd ask before dropping god knows how much on that scope.

Thanks for any help
The "MIL" is just the check engine light...not a code in itself. Countless systems (including completely unrelated to the fuel system) can trip that light. There could be fuel system code there (leak, etc..), but you need a specific numbered code to learn anything...OBD2 code scanner.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation

I took the assembly back out and seated it correctly using a snake cam, so it IS properly seated now but it still stalls out when trying to start it... anyone have any ideas?

P.S. For any other bargain hunters, this "tool" will work just as well as the bentley I keep seeing mentioned, if you plug it into your laptop and use it as a webcam.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spy-Net-Sn...i_sku=14699225

Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

or where i can find the gasket set at the very beginning of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no5K_Ri6xBA

Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear

or where i can find the gasket set at the very beginning of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no5K_Ri6xBA

Of the few places that have it ( 4D0 298 133 c ), this place has it the cheapest I've seen...and I've dealt with them successfully:

http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com/pa...?siteid=214407

Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, I just ordered the gasket set today.
I tried the OBDII scanner and the car isn't giving it any codes.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

-replaced the pump

-replaced the o-rings and gaskets

-seated pump correctly

-scanned for codes and got nothing

car still won't even start
does anyone have an idea for this?
i'm losing my mind

Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry, if you wrote it, I missed it...what year model car? 2000 on have an immobilizer circuit...not likely the problem unless you've had a remote key problem too.

Back to a couple of basics. If crank but no start: fuel and spark?

Is the fuel pump actually running during start attempt...relay energized...all fuses OK? Hook a meter to the pump leads during start.
If pump is running, may have to check to see that fuel pressure is making it to the rails at engine. If so are injectors getting signals? If so, are coils getting signal from ECU.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Default same problem here

Originally Posted by silverd2
Sorry, if you wrote it, I missed it...what year model car? 2000 on have an immobilizer circuit...not likely the problem unless you've had a remote key problem too.

Back to a couple of basics. If crank but no start: fuel and spark?

Is the fuel pump actually running during start attempt...relay energized...all fuses OK? Hook a meter to the pump leads during start.
If pump is running, may have to check to see that fuel pressure is making it to the rails at engine. If so are injectors getting signals? If so, are coils getting signal from ECU.
i too am having the same issue ... we replaced the pump with a new vdo and we removed the feed line and return line to the engine and at turning the key there was some fuel pumping out the feed line but then shortly after it stopped. can it be the ecu for any reason?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

-replaced the pump

-replaced the o-rings and gaskets

-seated pump correctly

-scanned for codes and got nothing

car still won't even start
does anyone have an idea for this?
i'm losing my mind
i sprayed starter fluid in the intake and we get the motor to start.
it looks like there is something that stops the fuel from reaching the rail after a certain point.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

Hi group!

Can anyone give me the part number for the replacement pump?

1998 A8 Quattro (American)

I pulled the assembly out. Looking at the pump and there is nothing on it!

Last edited by HumbleMonkey; 04-29-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: location

Quick Reply: Replacing Fuel Pump ?'s