Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

windshield wiper speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 AM
1st Gear
Default windshield wiper speed

I am the new owner of a 2002 A8L and love the car. I was wondering what you guys think of my only gripe- I just got rid of an older (1995) BMW that I thought had the best wiper speed system. ie. if you had it on low speed and came up on a stop light; it'd automatically drop down to intermittent speed (knowing that there's less rain coming at you while still). worked great- never had to shut them off while at a light, never had that annoying squeak when the wipers pass over the windshield and there's not enough water to make them pass over smoothly. then when you took off when the light turned green- they'd speed back up to low speed. and that car was 7 years older than this one. My GF has a 2008 A6 and that one is even better because they're rain sensing. the only thing with that setup is that when it starts ouring the wipers go onto high speed and sometimes that could be a tad too much.
so this brings me back to my 2002 A8- am I missing something? or is something broken with my car??? I can't believe that in 2002 Audi still had the same wiper thecnology as my 1990 pickup! if I haven't rambled too much and you followed my train of thought- maybe you can enlighten me to something that isn't set up right or broken on my car. thanks!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 AM
2nd Gear

Not broken...not missing anything...they just suck
Sorry.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

Hehehehehe! I love the blatant honesty, silverD2!

In auto mode, and with the frequency turned all the way down, my D3 wipes too often in my opinion. I use RainX though, so I really don't need them very much. I find myself leaving them in the off position most of the time, and just tap the stick down every once in a while when I need to. It's pretty rare when I actually turn them to auto mode, or even full on (hi or lo speed).

I guess I'll just have to add this to the very short list of annoyances for this car, along with the cup holder, cheap ashtray doors, and TPMS sensors (not Audi's fault). These are pretty minor potatoes though, in the grand scheme of things.