Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Help, doors dont unlock

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Help, doors dont unlock

Soo... I have a 2007 Q7. I think My Audis battery is dead. I cannot unlock it from the remote, and if I put the key in the lock, it won't turn either way. I want to jump start it. But I can't get in the car to open the hood. If there is a way to open the hood without getting in the car or if anyone knows how I can open the doors, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

It's all but impossible to open the hood from outside the vehicle. You need to go up from under the front end and find the lever the cable attaches to and pry it to the left. Requires very long skinny arms (just kidding) or a long thin prybar or similar thing to do. It may not be possible to get anywhere near the hood latch though.

The lock cylinder is probably corroded solid from never being used. Try spraying some penetrant into the lock. You need a straw on the can, push the straw in to move the shutter out of the way. Use a GOOD penetrant. WD-40 probably won't do it (not a cut on WD-40 btw). Keep working the key in and out and try turning both ways but don't force it too much. If the key starts to twist, STOP. It might take a while and be really tedious but most times they'll eventually loosen up enough to work.

One idea that might work. If you can get to the starter motor solenoid (on the starter), you could clamp a jumper cable onto the upper large terminal and hook the negative cable to a good ground point under the vehicle. That should in theory power it up so you can use the FOB to unlock the doors.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

Thank you soo much for replying! I'm not sure what you mean by "penetrant", I had some WD-40 Laying around and it didn't work with that. Can you please tell me what penetrant is.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

Oh sorry, what I meant by penetrant was rust penetrating oil. A couple brands are "Liquid Wrench" (not that good really), "PB Blaster" (better) and my favorite "Aero Kroil". Out of the 3, Aero Kroil is the best penetrant I've ever used. It's not cheap (like $20 a can) but it's worth every penny.

I was going to post pictures of the cans but my internet is giving me fits.

There's always the chance that the problem is in the latch itself. The lever the lock cylinder link attaches to could be seized. It's rare for that to happen though. Not sure where you live but it'd be more likely in one of the "salt states" like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, NY, etc.

Good luck, hope you get it to work.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

Which store can I buy one of those from?(btw I live in Canada and the month I didn't start the car, the weathers average was -13 Fahrenheit) this happened before I was gone in the summer and didn't start it but that time the car unlocked by itself before the battery died. Thank you so much for your help!

I was wondering, I could call a tow truck but he would probably take around $120.