Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Q7 Automatic Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Default Q7 Automatic Transmission Question

Hello -

I just tripped on this website. I have had my Q7 since last March. 3.8 with Auto.
I absolutely love the car, but absolutely hate the way the transmission operates.
In the "D" postion, it shifts from First through Fourth before hitting 20mph! It shifts way
too fast. At times, coming out of a red light, it lurches forward as if it is in too low
a gear. Othertimes it lugs off slowly, as though it is in too high a gear.

In Sport Mode, it holds the gearshift points way too long. It feels like there is a problem
with the shifting if driven mildly, and holds the gears almost until redline when dirven
briskly.

Of course I brought it back to the dealer but was told "transmission operates as designed."
Is this possible? Such a wonderfully engineered machine has a lousy transmission???

Any thoughts and/or recommendations are appreciated.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Q7 Automatic Transmission Question

I think you are encountering the computer intervention into the throttle. Doyou left-foot brake at all? I do, and I I had Audi check the transmission programming too. Like you, they said everything was normal. Over on Audiworld.com they told me to not left foot brake. I have stopped this completely and the problem is completely gone. There is a great height difference between the brake and gas pedal on the Q so I find it faster to react between brake and throttle by left-foot braking. But I think Audi has programmed the transmission/throttle to cut power if it senses too fast a transition from brake to gas - this must be to avoid "unintended acceleration". Remember 60 Minutes and the Audi 5000? I still occasiionally left foot brake - but only in anticipated stop and go traffic when I know I don't need to jump on the throttle.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. Apparently there are only two of us who have experienced this problem!

Unfortunately, I have never used my left-foot for braking so this is not the solution to my problem.
Too bad, that would have been easy. I guess I'll just have to live with this. I'man Audi fan, so
this problem won't push me into a "benz" (ugh! - been there, won't ever do THAT again) but it
does put a big blemish on an otherwise great vehicle.

Take care.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:51 AM
1st Gear

Hi,

I have the Middle East version of the q7, 4.2

now i agree on the gear shifts and timing, i have read many posts and reviews, the throttle is not very responsive as one has hoped for.
I had an 200 S8, and that beast was just waiting for a push on the throttle!!

I asked the dealer wheather the ratios can be manipulated or perhaps the redline removed since everything is computerized, got a negative answer, and that this is the way the car is.

So yeah, good luck to us !!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: aggie88

- this must be to avoid "unintended acceleration". Remember 60 Minutes and the Audi 5000? I still occasiionally left foot brake - but only in anticipated stop and go traffic when I know I don't need to jump on the throttle.
I absolutely hate Dan Rather for that story! If i ever saw him in public i would kick him straight in the *****. [:@]
Mercedes had that same problem, but they "alledgedly" payed off the media rumored in the millions to shut the *** up about the problem and they got away with it, and hence almost took audi under in the late80's.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 PM

Hey Auditech79 - any thoughts /suggestions on this transmission issue with the Q7? Am I stuck with it?

Anything would help at this point!

Thanks -

Old 01-16-2008, 08:13 PM

I too was upset about the DSP software in the Q7, but the advice on not using my left foot for the brake was spot on and I have had no problems since. I have raced karts for 40 years and learned to use my left foot for the brake, this has not been an easy habit to break but it sure works better now.