Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Dash buttons. 2001 TT coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 11:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Dash buttons. 2001 TT coupe

There are other threads on this site which refer to the problem of some or all of these buttons going right through the dash panel when pressed. I have read all I can find on the problem, but can someone tell me what exactly is the fix for this problem ? I have just acquired a 2001 Audi TT coupe, and I am in the process of trying to fix this and other problems with the car. I have taken the instrument cluster out (to get it refurbished. The speedo, tach and central display do not work at all), so I can see and feel the rear of the buttons, and the relays attached to them. Both seat heater buttons and the hazard button are just hanging loose in there. When I push them back into the holes from behind the dash, they seem to clip into something, but when I push on any button from the face of the dash, it doesn't stay latched. A small amount of finger pressure unclips it, and it just slides back through the hole into the space behind the dash again. Any info on how people have fixed this problem ? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

you'll need to pull the radio. above it, is a plastic panel the comes loose. that panel keeps the 5 buttons in place.

see this (not mine) DIY (for another mod) as it shows the process for removing those buttons, and securing them, and the "clamp bar" in question that holds them in place.

Short "Burst" Blinkers album | mcphill | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

cheers

Old 12-15-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TTQ2K2
you'll need to pull the radio. above it, is a plastic panel the comes loose. that panel keeps the 5 buttons in place.

see this (not mine) DIY (for another mod) as it shows the process for removing those buttons, and securing them, and the "clamp bar" in question that holds them in place.

Short "Burst" Blinkers album | mcphill | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

cheers
OK, thanks. The problem of the buttons pushing through and how to fix is not specifically addressed there, but it does seem to show how to get at them, remove and replace. I'll do that so I can take a look at how that "clamp bar" works, and I should be able to fix it somehow. Thanks again. Those step by step photos are useful.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:06 AM
1st Gear

What I called the "panel" and he calls the "clamp bar" are one and the same. it hold the buttons in place and keeps them from going back into/through the dash

Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

**** ! I just lost all that I just typed. Why does this site log you out so quick ? Anyway, I fixed my problem. The hinged plastic plate was not clipped into position, (since before I have had the vehicle), so that's why each button would go into the dash when pressed. I finally realized that, and so after making sure all the buttons were in their seated position I pressed REALLY hard up on the plastic hinged piece. SNAP, and SNAP, and it clicked firmly into the up position. I can operate the buttons with firm pressure now, and they stay in their locked position. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM
1st Gear

Have you had success in your repair of the instrument cluster? Does the center info still work or had you replaced the whole cluster?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Yes ! The instrument cluster works great now. I sent it to Modulemasters in Idaho, and they fixed / replaced the guts of the Odo, Tach, and the center display. I think they may have done the engine temp gauge also. I am very pleased with it. They charged me $393, which included shipping. Much cheaper than an OEM replacement I am sure. Everything works fine now. No problems with the immobilizer after replacing the cluster either. The engine started right up and ran just fine

Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 AM
1st Gear

Thanks! Did the repair take long? I will search the net for them. I may have to send it to them if they will accept repair from overseas, Philippines. The cluster on my 2001 Coupe does not show correct temperature and fuel level, and the center is almost blank!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

It only took about 10 days or so to round trip the instrument cluster. This is their website :
ModuleMaster | Services | Instrument Clusters
I would think that they accept repair jobs from overseas, but shipping might be pricey. You can contact them of the website. Good luck.