Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

fuel and oil leak questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Default fuel and oil leak questions

Sisters new Audi TT Quatro 2001 modle 53000 miles.
First question: Oil leaks are they common on the front end of the engine, that would be the right side. Got two little dots on the floor
sort of reminds one of where the cam seals would be ???? is this common or is there some other potential known common leaks.

The dealer replaced the pan gasket and the one cam seal that is NOT behind the timeing belt already and the leak seems to still be there. ????? all suggestions appreciated. Remember its TWO DOTS on the floor

Gas fill. My sister paid $50.00 to fill up the first time. Problem was, the gas pump did not kick of, it just kept pumpen till she realized the parking lot smelld of gas Is this a common Audi TT trick or a one time probable gas nosle problem that will probably never happen again.

and I almost forgot, very important ite,. The neet little plastic phillips head screws that hold down the top panels on the engine. The mechanic lost one, where do you get some new ones ?????? We have no Audi dealer in Wichita Kansas

Thanks, the car is awsome and I think I will soon be looking for a 2001 coupe with low milage..anybody got one they want to unload let me know

Allen Lofland
Wichita kansas

Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: fuel and oil leak questions

Gas tank on the 225hp car is just short of 17 gallons, so I'm usually paying around $50 to fill the tank with 93oct. If she actually overfilled, thats pretty crazy, because
1. pumps turn off when the tank is full
2. if the pump didn't turn off, gas pouring off a fender and splashing on the ground isn't something that'd usually go unnoticed for more than about .5 seconds, not enough to keep rolling numbers off on the pump equaling dollar amounts.

I can't think of any good excuse for that, if it actually did happen.

Oil leaks... Tough to say w/o seeing. If you're guessing cam seals, I'd probably take a look at the cam seals. Either a seal is leaking or its not. Pretty simple stuff. Generally these are pretty solid engines, but you still might occasionally see a leak here and there.

As for the engine trim fasteners, pretty sure thats a dealer item. You might get lucky at a wrecker yard, or one of the online salvage sites. Probably one of the biggest I know of is www.shokan.com but Chris at www.force5auto.com might be able to help you as well. I used to use Chris for all my Audi 4000 stuff back in the day.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: fuel and oil leak questions

I saw the gas pump overflow on my current car with it's former owner (I bought it from a buddy of mine). He was washing the windshield and left the pump and it just started gushing. That said, it's the only time it happened and it has never happened since. But, I do pay attention when I'm filling up. I suspect he didn't have the pump in all the way, or it could have been the pump itself. Who knows. This is the 1st I've heard anyone else mention it in my short time on this forum.

As for the oil, the oil change (at least for me) is quite messy. If you don't take time to clean up or prevent spillage from removing the filter, it will collect/drip for a while. Esp if it gets in the wire shrouds beneath the filter. I would look under the car/wipe it down before assuming it's an engine or cam tensioner seal.