Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

I bet I can stump ya with this brake issue.... Real thinker... Plus I need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:02 PM
2nd Gear
Default I bet I can stump ya with this brake issue.... Real thinker... Plus I need help!!

I had my FWD 2000 AUDI TT taken to a local shop. - The pads were ready to be replaced however everything appeared to work correctly. (Or so it seems)

Now the shop cut the rotors and put my new high proformance brake pads on. - When I got the car the brakes appeared to shop very soft (almost like they needed to be bled.) - Its been roughly about two weeks I've finally had time to sit down with my hand (power bleeder) - To bleed my lines. - I bled everything from the back tire to the front...to find that my FRONT LEFT brake A) - Would not bleed at all. and B) The pad and rotor appear to not have braked at all....meaning they look freshly cut and the pad shows NO signs of wear at all.

What could this be? - What can I do to fix it.

Remember no brake fluid came out when trying to bleed, by foot or by power bleeder.

Also I changed my spark plugs today! - WOOT! - I came to find out that I still had my stock original spark plugs (or so it appears). - Now I recently purchased some high end plugs for my car. - I did so because members of this forum have stated if you have a chipped car you HAVE to upgrade the plugs. - My car has 90k miles on it, I bought it with 79miles. - It could be in my head, however the new plugs along with my new K and N air filter feels a whole lot faster.

- Is this possible? - Or is it in my head?
-With both changed do you believe I will see in increase in MPG?

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2007, 10:35 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: I bet I can stump ya with this brake issue.... Real thinker... Plus I need help!!

New plugs can make a big difference in how the power feels. As for the brakes, good luck!

Old 06-08-2007, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: I bet I can stump ya with this brake issue.... Real thinker... Plus I need help!!

i would think its the calipers or the brake line is torned inside.... i did my calipesr today ...put a vise grip on the rubber brakeline and remove the line from the caliper and try to push the piston back..if it dosnt move it could be the calipers..... and attach a clear hose to the line and to a clean transparent bottle,, remove the visa grip and see if it bleeds.....if it does u nned new calipers... if not prob the lines ( i did that today followind the hayness manual it may not be accurate...

Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 PM
4th Gear

Two possibilities that I can think of:

1.) The rotors may have been cut down too far.
Or
2.) The pads aren't fitted correctly.

Make sure you watch the level of the brake fluid while bleeding the lines.
Don't want to get any air in there and have to start the process all over again. Best of luck!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 PM
2nd Gear

Disconnect the hose from the caliper and see if you get any fluid out of it. If you do then likely there is some blockage inside the caliper, if you do not, check the line as best you can all the way back to the master cylinder, there may be a crimp in the line that prevents the fluid from flowing to the caliper.

Take the bleed screw all the way out of the caliper to see if there is simply a blockage in the little valve in there or if it is more serious. You might try a vacuum bleeder. That may be enough to clear the blockage.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:58 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: XCLR8TT

Disconnect the hose from the caliper and see if you get any fluid out of it. If you do then likely there is some blockage inside the caliper, if you do not, check the line as best you can all the way back to the master cylinder, there may be a crimp in the line that prevents the fluid from flowing to the caliper.

Take the bleed screw all the way out of the caliper to see if there is simply a blockage in the little valve in there or if it is more serious. You might try a vacuum bleeder. That may be enough to clear the blockage.
+1
I agree. Its probably a clot somewhere. If it's in the line, the line is kinked, or the inner liner has debonded and is blocking it; that'll give you a really good excuse to upgrade to steel braided lines. lol

Old 06-09-2007, 09:31 AM
2nd Gear

I'm going to check that out today, I would like to upgraded to steal lines.

However on the note of plugs, I'm really excited about the difference I'm seeing.

If you have chipped your TT and are still using stock plugs around 85/90k MILES its COMPLETELY worth the change. - It took me 15 minutes and $28 bucks.

My old ones were oooooooooooooooooold looking..hehe.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

Sounds to me like the shop didn't finish the job. They should have test driven the car & detected the problem, then fixed it. Please let us know what it turns out to be.