Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Open Source ECU's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Open Source ECU's?

Why isn't there open source ECU roms out there for the TT? I could be WAY off here, but isn't the data for the ECU sitting on a rom chip? This wouldn't be "open source", but couldn't someone with a "chipped" car simply pull the data from ROM and provide to others? Or do vendors like APR and Giac not only provide their own software (flash) but an after market ECU as well? If these guys are just flashing your own OEM ECU, what is preventing people from distributing it themselves online?

Thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Open Source ECU's?

They have that **** on lockdown like you wouldn't believe.

Go buy a Scooby, they're open source.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

They have that **** on lockdown like you wouldn't believe.
OK, so they provide their own ECU, and provide no way of interfacing with it? Or they some how flash your OEM ECU, and some how prevent you from accessing it?

Go buy a Scooby, they're open source.
Are you talking about scoobytuner.com? That seems to be all based on WRXs. If these vendors provide their own hardware, is there anyway to safley and efficiently flash the OEM ECU?

Thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM
5th Gear

Audi spends a good amount of time getting the ECU's the way they want. Then the encrypt it. Tuners (APR/GIAC/Revo Technic) spend a good amount of time 'cracking' the ECU, and then making their adjustments. They want their money out of all that time they put into it, so that stays pretty well locked down as well. YOU aren't going to be doing any major tuning to your car.

If you want to do some adaption (timing/fueling) you can do so thru Vag-Com, and Lemmiwinks or Unitronic adaption programs, but you're adjusting the whole range of your fuel map, not individual blocks, so you're limited to what you're doing.

BTW, Scooby = Subaru. Subaru (at least the handful I know of) are open source ECU's. When I said 'Go buy a Scooby' I meant, if its that important that you try to do all your tuning yourself, you're driving the wrong car.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for clearing that up... I mainly wanted an easy way to every now and then flash it for a day, then set it back. I understand that this is possible, but more costly. It would be cool if you could do everything yourself with a little know-how.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Open Source ECU'

It would be cool to play with it.

Dunno why you want to keep it stock (maybe you haven't been in a chipped car) but I don't know anyone who ever wanted to go back to stock.

Best advice I can offer you is to watch the big show schedule for the summer (like waterfest is coming up end of this month). If a chip tuner sponsors it, and they always do, they usually have deals on programming. With my 180, I picked up the buy one, get one free deal from APR at H2O. If you wanted, you could get a 93 tune, and a stock tune. I opted for 93 and 100, but who sees 100 octane regularly?

Old 07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Open Source ECU'

audi = microsoft

subaru = linux