Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Steering Noise - In Shop Now

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:37 PM
2nd Gear
Default Steering Noise - In Shop Now

I think my dealership needs help if there are any top notch techs around.
Its been in and out over the past 3 weeks.
The initial problem was a single knock sound when turning only right at slow speeds like off of road into parking lot.

I mentioned it before on here and some suggested bushing in strut but they didn't suspect that and besides the sound seemed more centralized.

They replaced the steering linkage and that didn't to it. Now they are ordering a steering column for it I think.
I feel like I turned my stradivarious violin over to gorillas. I told the guy on the phone .,,," it kinda sound like your guessin on this,,,," he just rambled back some generic response. I don't have a lot of faith in them

They did fix the FSU which was giving me incorrect gas gauge readings but it took longer than they promised.
Still not sure the climate control problem I mentioned over in General Tech is working right. The bright side is I havea Nissan Sentra to drive around in while I watch EVERYBODY ELSE DRIVE AROUND IN CONVERTIBLES! [>:]

Old 05-31-2007, 11:42 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Steering Noise - In Shop Now

well they said they need to order the steering column,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FRO M GERMANY!
I said no problem, just give me my car back until you get it in.
I think i'm suffering withdrawal symptoms.

I can't wait to talk with the shop foman on this to get the details because it don't make much sense to me.
Still underwarranty though, gotta love that.

Beware the dealership[:@]

Old 05-31-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

I don't think it's your steering column. My TT is doing the same thing, the dealership wants to change everything they can think of just to increase their revenue. Check your Ball Joint and CV Joint. Unless your have a warranty and it's paying for the massive replacement and nothing is coming out of your pocket, then let them give you a new steering column. But if you are coughing up some dough for this project, go with the second choice and replace those parts, it will be a heck of alot cheaper.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20934/62A4874D023346C4B7EBBB7B0480D923.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 AM
1st Gear

Steering column? Are they serious? That's gotta cost a jillion dollars, and 90% sure it won't fix your problem. Good grief, that's pathetic.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear

Well I was going to talk to the Shop Forman to get the details when I picked it up (while part is ordered) but I was in a hurry and had to pass but I will "drill" him eventually.

No money spent on this still as its still under 50,000/5 year.
The onlyt thing I'm worried about is them creating another problem in the process which is possible I think.
As a matter of fact I heard something this a.m. drive. A high hissing static type sound while moving and radio off and A/C off. It stopped when car stopped rolling. Its strange and faint from front I think.

Sorry this is a boring post, I'll try to include some drama in the future to make it more intersting.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear

{bump} or should I say {steering knock}

Points are awarded Agentx and Dana. Steering column replaced and that's not the problem.
They still think its from somewhere near the firewall. This must be costing them majorly to do this.

One bit of drama. I got it backweek and a half ago whilewaiting for part and noticed a new entry on my navigation.
So i'm like interogatingthe service guy about why there is a new city entry on my nav. It seems that monkey business is going on there. Checked my mileage last time I dropped it off.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear

Last post finally.

Problem found in floor pan . Steering column was rubbing against it.
So they straitened it out. Success, but at what cost to dealership rep at taking so long to find such a simple problem. [sm=imsmilin.gif]

Old 06-14-2007, 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: alan93

One bit of drama. I got it backweek and a half ago whilewaiting for part and noticed a new entry on my navigation.
So i'm like interogatingthe service guy about why there is a new city entry on my nav. It seems that monkey business is going on there. Checked my mileage last time I dropped it off.
Ever figure out what happened with this?