Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

strange "gong" noise when turning since snowy day (wind-up?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Default strange "gong" noise when turning since snowy day (wind-up?)

My '01 1.8T w/ Quattro saw snow for the 1st time last week. I came out of work with +4" on the ground. I backed her out and heard (for the first time in 2 years of ownership) a loud GONG noise from the front end. I thought it could be the Quattro engaging so I didn't worry *too much* at first. Since then the snow is gone and it has warmed back up to 55deg but I still get the Gong noise every time I make a turn. (Full turns in the city or up my driveway, not on the highway - yet).
Yesterday I needed to move the car and nearly stalled it when trying to reverse out of my parking spot. It was like something was locked in the drivetrain (the e-brake wasn't on and I doubt it was stucke because even that gives a little, right?) I tried again and heard a loud *CRACK* noise that really scared me at first. But then the car backed up fine. I thought maybe the rear wheels had disengaged finally and the sound (windup, maybe?) would be gone but sadly it's still there. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:51 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: strange "gong" noise when turning since snowy day (wind-up?)

Prob snow stuck between the tire and fender. Try kicking it off and see if it makes a difference.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Default RE: strange "gong" noise when turning since snowy day (wind-up?)

The "crack" noise you heard may have been the brake pads freeing from the rotors...occasionally after I wash the car or drive in rain and park with the e brake engaged, the pads and rotor will rust together after it sits awhile...as long as it's not a regular thing, it should be ok.