Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Strange Transmission Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Default Strange Transmission Behavior

I just bought a 2000 TT and a noticed that after a long trip it would give you a hard time shifting into first and reverse. One time and the first time it happened getting it into either gear was all but impossible. After it sat for awhile I eventually was able to get it into gear and got home with it. After that it never stopped shifting, but after a few minutes of driving it would become more and more stiff when shifting into first.

I took it to the shop and they just called back and told me that they couldn't figure out why it wouldn't shift that first day, but that the tranny was acting strange and they didn't know the cause.

They told me that if the clutch is depressed within an inch of its full movement the car will shift in gear fine, continue to push the clutch to the bottom of its movement and it will lurch forward as if it were in gear. If you keep the clutch within that inch of the bottom it shifts like normal all the time without any forcing, but push it all the way in and you get resistance and that lurching into gear (I didn't notice it myself).

Anyways, the car is still at the shop since I'm waiting on a buy protection policy to kick in and hopefully fix it, but I wanted to ask here to see if this is something other people have had happen to them and if so how was it fixed? The shop recommended taking the transmission apart to figure out whats going on.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2006, 02:34 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Strange Transmission Behavior

try changing the front transmission fluid