Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Wierd dash behavior

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Wierd dash behavior

I notice the lights in my heat/ac area have been flickering off for a second or so once in a while. Not the ones that dim and go on and off, the rectangular orange ones that are lit all the time as indicators of what is on. Then tonight I saw the temp display in the dis switching to Celsius once in a while for a second or two. Seemed like maybe when I was accelerating but not every time. Two weird things happening leave me wondering. 09 tt 3.2 roadster. Any suggestions? I wonder if something isn't making good contact. I upgraded the rns to a 2010 model back in feb so I'm hoping it has nothing to do with that.

Steve

Old 07-15-2013, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

Ok, after watching this for a while, I realized the events are connected. The trigger is that the celcius temperature changes. So here's what happens:

1. Lights in ac/heat area go out.
2. Temp in DIS switches to Celsius (and shows a new number).
3. Lights in ac/heat area come back.
4. Temp in DIS switches back to Farenheit.

Most obvious when I took the car out of the garage this morning because it was about 15 degrees cooler in my garage than outside. All the way as the temp rose I could see this happening. The C display shows 3 digits (eg 27.5) where the F display only shows two (eg 77) so the C display changes more frequently. That's how I could tell it was obviously tied to a C temp update. I wonder if one of the devices lost coding or something. I have VAGCOM if anyone can tell me what to look for.

steve

Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Seems like I'm talking to myself here :-). We're having a heat wave and I haven't felt like hooking up the vagcom yet, but the problem seems to happen mostly in the morning when I first use the car. If I have the air on when it happens the whole heat/ac system shutdown and restarts. So it's not just the lights going out. I think the temporary temp change to celsius in the DIS is just a side-effect of the climate control restarting.

steve

Old 07-20-2013, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

Ok vagcom reports a cent-elect fault yesterday as intermittent short to front right headlight. The prob has been going on for a week so I'm not sure if I should focus on something from yesterday. Would the date have been updated if it recurred? Also there are two ignition switch faults, one says implausible signal, the other says possible intermittent short in ignition switch. How these relate to the climate control resetting I have no idea. Oh, and there was a fault from the auto roof that said low voltage. that was on the 16th, also after the prob started. Any thoughts?

Steve

Last edited by dsm1212; 07-20-2013 at 12:06 PM.