Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

WTF is burning???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:05 AM
1st Gear
Default WTF is burning???

Ok, after finally fixing some of the problems with my 225TT, I had a little fun in the beautiful weather today. After about 30 minuites of driving hard, I stopped and put the hood up to investigate a burning smell. It wasn't huge, but there was noticeable smoke coming out from the heat shielding wrapped around some of the hoses around the turbo. I figured it was a sheild that was broken and a hose was melting, but after everything cooled, I removed the shields and there was no damage. Possible a gasket leak around the turbo????

The smoke was white if that means anything. I need an answer before something gets really messed up. Any ideas????

Thanks for any help
Nick

Old 06-02-2008, 12:10 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: WTF is burning???

My only though was oil dripping out of the turbo on to the exhaust manifold right below. Not sure if that makes sense, but its a thought. I've checked oil levels and they are perfectly normal.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:14 AM
5th Gear

what problems were worked on before?

I know I get my greasy mits everywhere when Im under the hood, and it take a little time to burn my fingerprints back off of hot parts.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:16 AM
1st Gear

I recently installed a 42 Draft Designes down pipe about 3 weeks ago. I also just installed a new vaccume hose. I orgionally thought that it was just left over oil drippings from the work and from the oil change, but it would have burned off by now. The new hose i just installed isn't anywhere near where the smoke is coming out.

Another problem to be addressed if they are possible linked. Despite the new hose, there is still a loud hissing/ air rushing noise when the turbo engagues. But soon after the engine gets hot, this hissing noise goes away and the turbo seems like it is non-existant. In order of things that happen.....
1. Drive car hard for about half hour
2. Hissing is prominent the hole time
3. About a half hour into driving, the burning smells comes with smoke, hissing stops, and the turbo is like nothing.
4. After a cool down, the turbo is back with full boost, but the hissing comes back.

I'm not sure if the burning and hissing are all linked together. A previous post suggested that a vaccume hose is broken under the intake manifold.
Thanks for the help.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 AM
2nd Gear

D/p might be coming loose. Check with soapy water if any hoses you've played with lately have a leak or just not attached correctly.