B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1998 Audi A4 DRL Not Working

Old 11-09-2013, 06:37 PM
1st Gear
Default 1998 Audi A4 DRL Not Working

Hello all I have a unique problem that I can't seem to figure out. I have a 1998 Audi A4 2.8L V6 5-Speed.

So when I first got the car the passenger side DRL was not working and I thought it was just the bulb, so I replaced it, not the issue. I then thought maybe it was the housing, switched them nope the DRL works on that side with that housing which "doesn't work". Also when I switched the assemblies all the lights worked, EVEN the DRLs. I am not sure whats going on I checked all the fuses and the relays (I thought were for the rear tail lights), they all worked fine. Then when I was testing with a test light and the divers side DRL stopped working! I am not sure what is going on.

When I turn on the lights with the switch I get a constant ringing noise for about 60 seconds, never counted but about that long. Then it goes away. The headlight DRLs and side marker DRLs work fine, just not the rear which I really don't want to drive at night since people won't be able to see me in the rear. When I press on the brakes the brake lights work, the turn signal lights work, just not the rear DRLs.

Also a side note my brake light is on in the dash as well as the ABS light, which is flashing, I know I need a new ABS module.

The only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with the wiring or a bad ground or could it be the housing? Are there any inline fuses etc...?

Thanks in advanced for the help!

Old 11-11-2013, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

Im not sure about this, but you can try replacing the ignition switch located right under the steering wheel.

In my car what happened was I took it for a nice long ride and the roads over here in some places are bumpy or what not so maybe vibration attributed to the part failing but I think it had more to due with the humidity in the air. Anyway, I was driving, everything was fine. Turned the car off. Came back. Turned it on. Put the lights on, only to find out that my stationary lights and my hazards work. Blinkers, headlights, wipers, horn, halogen, all not working.

Replaced the switch, all is well now.

I know the symptoms aren't the same but maybe by some chance it is related because you said your getting a ringing noise by the actual light switch.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM
2nd Gear

Since you switched housings from the passenger side, to the driver's side, it all worked, but then the Driver's side DRL is now NOT working again, the problem followed the housing, so it's either something in the housing/wiring of that housing, because gathering from what you wrote, the passenger side is now fine, and the Driver's side is now the problem,is that correct?

Old 11-20-2013, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

Thanks everyone taking it to an Audi electrical specialty shop. I will keep you posted on what happened.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

There was a short in the wiring which caused the lights to malfunction.