B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2001 A4 1.8 K04 Swap/Overboost Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Ehh, only if boost is kept low. Otherwise the FT will likely outflow the stock injectors (my FT out-flowed 315cc injectors @ 3bar, running 20psi boost on a GIAC PC-16 tune).
Didn't think about outflowing, couldn't you just adjust the wastegate to release earlier? I know that's what you do if you wanna run it as stock ( didn't you do this before you tuned it?)

Old 04-07-2014, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Ehh, only if boost is kept low. Otherwise the FT will likely outflow the stock injectors (my FT out-flowed 315cc injectors @ 3bar, running 20psi boost on a GIAC PC-16 tune).
All great stuff Crazy and Metal....

I just contacted BuyAutoParts and once my mechanic calls them, they'll warranty their part as advertised. I've decided that I'm not even going to have my mechanic fix the WG at this time, but rather just return it and upgrade to the BW. I of course thought I could get away with the China stuff, and although some have better luck, I'm tired of it already only after a couple months. If I had sticky WG from the get go, and now it's being stuck partially open, what's the point of milking it by a temporary fix, only to have issues down the road and most likely when the warranty of one year from the date of "purchase" is gone?

$415 is what I paid out the door for the China K04 with gasket set, the difference for the BW is $510 out the door. I think a K04 BW for $920 something isn't too bad. Like I said, I'm sticking with the K04 at this time because of the age of my vehicle, and probably should've stuck with the K03 to be honest. I spent some money doing this upgrade, but am not willing to spend more on a FT and all of the necessary supporting mods. If and when I get another A4 down the road, I'll go big from the get go.......

Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Another thing...

When I called them about the warranty, they asked me about the setup, boost setting, and all supporting mods.

They asked whether I had the injector tune, and when I said "no" they asked if I had the 5BAR and 255 fuel pump. I asked what role the FP played in all of this, he said running the stock FP on a k04 tune without injectors would surely send the car into a lean condition, also activating the limp mode. Sound familiar? Ya, the same issues I've been having since the install. I do have the 255FP but it isn't installed yet. Seeing as I'm not driving the vehicle right now and will be having the BW sent out within the next day, I'm vowing not to drive it again until both the BW and 255FP are installed. I guess the FP comment the rep. made pretty much supports one of my thoughts and answers my question I've been seeking an answer for ...the bogging in higher rpm's and only occurring in 3rd-5th....yup that would make sense......not enough fuel....251K stock FP not able to keep up with 5BAR

Old 04-07-2014, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear

Stock fuel pump is fine, hell I'm running 630cc's @ 4 bar (about 2-3x the amount you are) on the stock fuel pump and I have no issues

Old 04-07-2014, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
Stock fuel pump is fine, hell I'm running 630cc's @ 4 bar (about 2-3x the amount you are) on the stock fuel pump and I have no issues
IMO we have BIG differences between our situations...fuel supply and demand....

Think about it...

You have much better flowing injectors versus my stock 210cc or whatever they are....it comes down to what your FP is willing to supply right? How many miles do you have on your FP? Also, I've been running tunes on my car since it had 175K or something like that, can't really remember but it's been awhile....

You only have a 4BAR versus my more demanding 5BAR.....why else would the thing be running lean? Hitting limp mode constantly? No other codes? And only affecting ranges that request the MOST fuel? 3rd-5th and ONLY at higher rpm? Not enough fuel bro....FP would be the only reason...and I didn't have lean issues pr power related stutter in any gears nor rpm range until I installed the 5BAR....to me it's clean cut....

IF I had larger injectors, well I'd have a different tune....but FP's do have issues keeping up with age if pushed (251K is A LOT of miles man), but now that I'm running a larger K04 turbo vs stock, 5BAR vs 4BAR, AND I kept my tiny stock injectors.....I'm willing to bet it's the FP not able to keep up. Honestly, nothing else truly explains the symptoms, I've replaced most things that would've been other culprits.

Ultimately, none of these issues happened I installed the K04 and 5BAR.....and given the timing of when I'm having power issues is exactly at the points where fuel is being MOST demanded....well .....to me that sums it up I think....or so I hope...only time will tell once I get the damn 255 in there....

Last edited by wildfan4eva; 04-07-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear

I have 190k on my stock fuel pump, and my car has been chipped since 50k (not driven hard though). 630 @ 4 bar is a ton more fuel than 215 @ 5 bar, a larger fpr makes a difference but not a 415cc difference. If you think your running lean just check with vag-com or install a gauge, you already have a wideband sensor

Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

I have 190k on my stock fuel pump, and my car has been chipped since 50k (not driven hard though). 630 @ 4 bar is a ton more fuel than 215 @ 5 bar, a larger fpr makes a difference but not a 415cc difference. If you think your running lean just check with vag-com or install a gauge, you already have a wideband sensor
70K is a lot of miles for one. Two, every pump is different in terms of longevity based on manufacturing fundamentals. Putting aside the "who flows what" facts....the symptoms I'm having and "when" I'm having them screams lack of fuel....and it surely isn't the injectors since that's what the tune is supposed to be written for. Again, none of these issues happened until the install of the 5BAR. If you take the change in requested fuel from 4BAR to 5BAR, and immediately notice problems ONLY in the gear/rpm range where fuel is being most needed, well....what else could be causing the issue? Fuel filter could be thrown out there, but again, no issues until the more demanding 5BAR was installed...

Like I said, will have an answer hopefully within a week or so once it's installed..BTW-I'm not the only one who thinks my issues are FP related either...Audzine has a few members who agree as well....

Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

You can spend your money on a new pump if you want, at 251 it probably doesn't have to much life anyway. I don't think it's a pump problem but I've been wrong before.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

You can spend your money on a new pump if you want, at 251 it probably doesn't have to much life anyway. I don't think it's a pump problem but I've been wrong before.
Yup, I already have the pump and only paid $62 shipped, not bad for a pump & full install kit with a lifetime warranty. It's sure cheaper than running lean and causing more expensive repairs is the way I look at it. So, if you don't think it's the problem, what else could be causing all of the symptoms I'm having? I did a boost/vaccum leak that came back good. I've replaced the MAF, N75, TIP, and plugs.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

It's official-I just ordered a brand new BW and it will be installed on Thursday. BuyAutoParts.com did honor their warranty as described, which includes shipping both ways (although I paid extra for overnight for the BW shipped my way).....

They were unable to knock down the price of the BW because they "claim" BW doesn't cut them a lot of slack, thus I ended up paying $925 for it which includes overnight shipping ($45). Their name brand turbo I've been having problems with ended up costing me $360 which included the gasket set. The one lucky aspect of all this is their rep initially misquoted me and thought I paid $415 for the original turbo, not the $360 that I actually paid. Thus, they honored the difference and in reality I scored the BW for $875 or so in itself.

The 255LPH FP will also be installed Thursday with the new BW and MBC so I'll post back with the results. Luckily for me, I have family that owns a shop and I don't pay for labor, but if I had, I'd probably be fighting for some kind of retribution over their crap replica turbo that had problems from the get go. Heck, maybe after the BW install I'll call back and try to get refunded for the overnight shipping or something......the labor costs involved for anyone that pays for work on their vehicle would be out A LOT of money in this case....

Quick Reply: 2001 A4 1.8 K04 Swap/Overboost Issues