B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2001 A4 1.8 K04 Swap/Overboost Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

I just though of something, what about the fuel pump?

It DOES feel like fuel cutting out when it shutters, and it doesn't ever happen in 1st/2nd gear because the rpm range goes so fast, and in 3rd sometimes, but only towards redline, but in 4th/5th gears it's the most common, pretty much anything past 3500k+ .....which is where fuel is being requested the most right?

I mean, the fuel pump is stock with 251K, and have been running Stage 1 or higher for over 6 years/120K+ or so.....

Now that I'm running a 5BAR putting more stress on it, it makes sense IMO. I can get a brand new OEM for $100 wholesale, however I'm wondering if I should just upgrade because of the K04/5BAR and added stress? Some people of mentioned that running a 5BAR puts tons of stress on a stock FP but I'm not too sure if I'd need too because the replacement would be brand new.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

SOB!

Well, now that I was just about to install the MBC for spikes, something is up with my wastegate now ( I Think)....

I was just accelerating normal when all of a sudden is felt like limp mode. Except, instead of staying at 5psi, it SLOWLY creeped up to 9 or 10 max psi at higher rpms, 5K +.....

I disconnected the battery and all of that but no fix....didn't come back to life like the soft/hard limps I hit in the past, not too mention the higher than 5psi boost...to me doesn't mean limp, plus Vag-Com didn't show any limp/overboost codes this time.

So, I drove about 30 miles and BOOM, my power came back towards the 3K mark in 2nd gear full power. It drove fine for another 5 miles as I was dropping it off at my mechanics shop. It sat overnight and when he started it up the next morning ran fine for a bit while he was trying to dial in the MBC, but then it happened again, wouldn't go past 10psi, and SO SLOW to get there.

He let it sit for a half of a day while he worked on other stuff and once he started it up again it worked fine while he pulled it into the garage again.

He thinks it could be a wastegate related issue, possibly plunger? He'll be checking it out tomorrow by taking off the downpipe to get a better look at it, but since the issue came and went like that, sounds like a sticky plunger or something at the wastegate right? Especially since how it came for me while driving and accelerating? But then again, it goes out while accelerating too....just killing me....one thing after another I swear...

The only code he had on Vag-Com was an 02 sensor, but it's the rear which I've had forever. I never had this slow boost creep issue ever, and happened shortly after installing a new silicone TIP. Weird.....but the wastegate was sticky when it was first installed, massive overboost at half throttle and all of that. But, it has been fine (seemingly) after we pushed some air into it, took 15psi or so to open the first time, but then only 5psi every time after that. It has been a month or so since then, but maybe it's sticking again, just in a different way so that it's now not creating boost like it should vs overboost.

Seeing how the boost SLOWLY comes on, but still only limits itself at 10psi, something with the plunger or wastegate seem realistic?

Old 04-05-2014, 03:22 PM
2nd Gear

Test how much pressure it takes to open the wastegate again. It almost has to be a wastegate problem. Hate to say it but this is why you shouldn't buy Chinese turbos, you get what you pay for. If the wastegate is still sticky, send it back and get a new turbo. If that one sucks, either get a name brand or go back to k03.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
Test how much pressure it takes to open the wastegate again. It almost has to be a wastegate problem. Hate to say it but this is why you shouldn't buy Chinese turbos, you get what you pay for. If the wastegate is still sticky, send it back and get a new turbo. If that one sucks, either get a name brand or go back to k03.
Yeah, three times the price for a BW didn't seem appealing, considering ALL brand-name turbos have had issues from the factory at one point or another, but obviously China ones are more prone for sure. The other reason like I've mentioned before is that I don't get charged labor, thus was willing to chance it given BuyAutoParts reputation and warranty.

If it is a sticky wastegate, I've read that some manual break-in and possibly some lubrication can fix that. I've posted a video on it awhile back, and I should have known better before install (bench test). If we're unable to fix it by manually moving it some and lubrication of some sort, then I'll determine whether to get a similar one, or pay an extra $550 for a BW they also offer, but only if they'll let me do so of course.

Going back to K03 isn't an option at this point. I already spent the money for a tune, FPR, fuel pump, inlet pipe, etc etc. Like you said, if we can't fix the wastegate "if it's sticking" just order the same replacement and bench test first before install, or get a BW and pay the difference if they allow.

I've talked to a few people that are running the BuyAutoParts k04-15 and they love em, pushing a lot of miles on them without any issue, other than the sticky wastegate. Each person was able to manually work on the kinks luckily, so I'm hopeful it'll be the same in my situation. If that's all it is though, I'll still be happy that I spent the $360 vs $900+ on the BW, but only time will tell.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

Try to break it free then, if it doesn't work call up the company and get a replacement one. You shouldn't be having these problems with a brand new turbo, whether it's Chinese or brand name.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

Try to break it free then, if it doesn't work call up the company and get a replacement one. You shouldn't be having these problems with a brand new turbo, whether it's Chinese or brand name.
Agree 150% bud!!

When I initially called the company and explained my symptoms, they said "it looks like you noted your car is tuned?" I'm like...ya....that's why I purchased an aftermarket performance turbo and told the sales rep that one the phone. The kid said he'd have to ask his supervisor, but nevertheless he said my mechanic would have to first call them, provide my customer number, explain the symptoms, possible causes, etc.....

Well, my mechanic is my uncle, who has the same last name. Hopefully that doesn't change anything and will flip my lid if it does. The same applies to them trying to wiggle their way out of warrantying their turbo like the rep told me when I ordered it on the phone. I explained everything I had tone to my car for performance, and wanted to make sure they were comfortable with selling me the turbo, and not once they did they say the warranty would be void if the car was tuned. In their legal description of their turbocharger warranty, it explains how it can be voided if the turbo was missused, abused, etc etc....

I'm kinda jumping the gun considering the turbo hasn't even been checked up close yet, and probably wont be until Wed or Thu, but of course I'm realistic and have heard of A-Hole moves like that by companies to save a few bucks. If I do have to return the turbo, I'll pony up the extra dough and get the BW no doubt, I've made my mind up on that.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:54 AM
2nd Gear

Lol, that is such bs if they are weird about your car being tuned. They will give you a return/refund, atleast they better. If you do end up returning it, i would recommend a frankenturbo over a BW. It's about the same price ($999 with high flow manifold and silicone TIP) , comes with one hell of a warrenty, and is a lot more powerful.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

Lol, that is such bs if they are weird about your car being tuned. They will give you a return/refund, atleast they better. If you do end up returning it, i would recommend a frankenturbo over a BW. It's about the same price ($999 with high flow manifold and silicone TIP) , comes with one hell of a warrenty, and is a lot more powerful.
I like the idea of the FT, however I just purchased a TIP & k04 tune. Not too mention the cost of another tune, injectors, MAF, etc.....

Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by wildfan4eva
I like the idea of the FT, however I just purchased a TIP & k04 tune. Not too mention the cost of another tune, injectors, MAF, etc.....
You can run a ft as a k04, just has more upgrade potential/high resale value

Old 04-07-2014, 03:07 PM

You can run a ft as a k04
Ehh, only if boost is kept low. Otherwise the FT will likely outflow the stock injectors (my FT out-flowed 315cc injectors @ 3bar, running 20psi boost on a GIAC PC-16 tune).

Quick Reply: 2001 A4 1.8 K04 Swap/Overboost Issues