B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2001 A4 1.8 K04 Swap/Overboost Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 PM
2nd Gear

Good luck! Fingers crossed!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

There has been another "fuel cut" culprit possibility...

I woke up this morning with an email from Oliver w/ Speedtuning asking me to give him a call. He said another customer was having issues with the same tune on a K04, and what solved "his" problems was a 3" MAF housing. He didn't know whether it was a larger MAF, but just the housing. He didn't say which housing in particular either....so....if the upgraded FP doesn't fix my issues, at least I have another option to try I guess....

Anyone know which 3" housing I'd look for if needed?

Old 04-09-2014, 03:16 PM
2nd Gear

You just need the housing, they go up for sale all the time for ~$50. However, if your set on it being a fuel cut issue then a bigger maf wouldn't help.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
You just need the housing, they go up for sale all the time for ~$50. However, if your set on it being a fuel cut issue then a bigger maf wouldn't help.
Exactly, that's why if the upgraded pump doesn't seem to fix the issue, the larger housing would be the next thing I'll try.

Maybe I didn't word my previous post properly. In the event the pump doesn't fix things, "which" 3" housing am I looking for? Are there aftermarket brands to look for? Do they come off of other models? Years?

Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 PM
2nd Gear

I think they come off vr6's and tt225's. Not sure though. Email frankenturbo, they will probably sell you a new one for $50. If not, check out classifieds for big turbo part outs

Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
I think they come off vr6's and tt225's. Not sure though. Email frankenturbo, they will probably sell you a new one for $50. If not, check out classifieds for big turbo part outs
I think you're right about those models. I'll dig some more about which years I need to look for or whatever.....

Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

I just got word that the FP and Turbo install wont be completed now until Monday, so the update will have to come then. The downfall to not paying for labor I guess.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Fixed!!!!!!

My vehicle is finally fixed and running properly! I can't believe it......but awesome feeling that's for sure.

My mechanic was able to fit me in because a customer canceled their appointment today, thus the new BW K04 and 255LPH were installed this afternoon. When I picked it up, my mechanic said he cannot prove the 255LPH fixed the power issue in high rpm's/high gears because he installed both parts at the same time, but it was either the chinese BuyAutoParts name brand turbo causing it because of overboost, or the lack of fuel due to the 252K mile OEM FP. Really, I'm just happy the car is now smooth all the way to redline, incredible

The MBC is set to 20psi, and although the car doesn't feel quite as fast overall compared to the overboosting/unhealthy status is was in, I'm happy as ever right now. I would of course take a healthy running vehicle over one that's faster but unhealthy....

After looking at the BuyAutoParts name brand K04 I originally purchased, all I can say is "WOW." No wonder why I had a **** ton of issues with overboosting & underboosting towards the end (1 month total of running it only). He pushed some air into it on the bench, and the WG was getting stuck up on the housing, thus when releasing the air, it would just stick open. Not only that, but like many of you already know, immediately upon installing it the WG was sticking "closed." At that time, it took 15psi just to open the damn thing, after that it seemed "ok" with 5psi only. So, ultimately the WG on the turbo was a POS. Not only that, but the plunger was REALLY loose too! Looked like the washer was about to fall off seeing as it was wiggling everywhere by touch, pretty sad seeing as the thing was no more than 1 month used, and not one day of it did the turbo work properly. I blame myself, lesson learned the hard way. Either way, I'm sending the POS back and was told the credit would be issued once they recieve it and confirm the issue for themselves.

As far as the tune concerns at this point in time, after installing the BW K04, 255LPH, and 5BAR it is running great from what I can tell. Vag Com revealed great FT values and my mechanic said everything else looked great in his opinion. I'm happy with the tune, and right now can't say anything bad about it. If anything, I just wish Oliver with ST knew more about the details, but in this case you get what you pay for. I had a feeling something was causing my issues, and not so much the tune, thus it was either the FP or POS turbo. $150 for the tune, $40 for shipping, $65 for 5BAR, and $65 for 255LPH FP for this setup, and I'm feeling good about it finally.

I also was to thank all of those who contributed here, AWESOME!

Take Care!

Last edited by wildfan4eva; 04-12-2014 at 08:07 AM.