B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2001 A4 - Experience summary

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:58 AM
1st Gear
Red face 2001 A4 - Experience summary

Just for everyone's information, here's a summary of my 10 years owning a 2001 A4 Quattro with 170,000 miles. (I bought it certified used in 2003 with 25,000 miles.)

Generally, this A4 has been robust. I have had no major engine, transmission, front-end, or rear-end problems. (I'm not sure if I've even had a tune up to replace the spark plugs.)

However, this A4 has had a number of annoying minor problems (often expensive to fix). Both the instrument panel and audio system were replaced - under warranty, but I've never had another car where those had to be replaced because they failed. The dashboard cup holder has failed twice, with the spring support just wearing out; I replaced it the first time. There have been a few other small items like that.

More importantly, it appears that Audi is engineering for robustness and performance, but not for maintainability. For example, the water pump failed, and the mechanic had to tear down the entire front end just to access it, making a simple job much more expensive than necessary. (Annoyingly, a dealer had replaced the timing belt at about 100,000 miles but did not suggest replacing the water pump at the same time - then the water pump failed at about 115,000 miles.)

So, overall, I would buy another Audi. (My preferences have changed since 2003. Now I want a compact all-wheel drive hatchback, such as the A5 4-Door Sportback, but Audi USA has decided not to import that model. So, I might have to settle for the BMW Series 3 Grand Touring.)

Old 11-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by MikeF24
For example, the water pump failed, and the mechanic had to tear down the entire front end just to access it, making a simple job much more expensive than necessary. (Annoyingly, a dealer had replaced the timing belt at about 100,000 miles but did not suggest replacing the water pump at the same time - then the water pump failed at about 115,000 miles.)
Taking the front of the car off is called putting it in the service position, and I would view this as far from making a simple job more complicated. on the contrary, in fact. if you knew much about how the waterpump works on an audi (1.8t or 2.8, makes no difference) you'd be thanking audi engineers for making the car so it could come apart like that. It takes about 30 minutes to get the bumper and core support off, and what a difference it makes. believe me when I say it would have cost a ALOT more to change your water pump if the front end didn't come apart.

As for the dealer not replacing the pump with the belt, this is just a testament to how bad your dealer is. first off, the belt should have been changed long before 100k miles. 60k is a much better alternative. And, they should have changed the waterpump at the same time because it only adds an extra 15 minutes to the job as a total, and maybe $100. You found out how much it cost to replace alone.

Don't blame audi for bad service. If I owned a shop and you had me do you timing belt, I wouldn't perform the service without doing the pump at the same time. If you didn't like it, I'd tell you to go somewhere else.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear

I never know what to say when talking about Audi reliabiltiy. Yea, they break more than a Honda Civic. So do most European cars. The parts aren't cheap. But, if you keep throwing parts at them, they last forever. I know that sounds self-evident, but it's different.

How many B5's do you see driving around with lots of rust? I see lots of Civics that need way more than a few parts. Audi motors are bullet-proof, the all wheel drive is suprisingly trouble-free, B5ers routinely get get > 200,000 miles on a clutch. But they do need a lot of attention. And for those that judge a car by the number of times they take it somewhere for service, I steer them elsewhere.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:38 AM
3rd Gear

If that's the most issues you had over ten years that's pretty ******* good.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
I never know what to say when talking about Audi reliabiltiy. Yea, they break more than a Honda Civic. So do most European cars. The parts aren't cheap. But, if you keep throwing parts at them, they last forever. I know that sounds self-evident, but it's different.

How many B5's do you see driving around with lots of rust? I see lots of Civics that need way more than a few parts. Audi motors are bullet-proof, the all wheel drive is suprisingly trouble-free, B5ers routinely get get > 200,000 miles on a clutch. But they do need a lot of attention. And for those that judge a car by the number of times they take it somewhere for service, I steer them elsewhere.
I could not agree more. I'd like to see a 16 year old Civic with 250K miles, and compare it to my A4. And I'm still on my original clutch

Audis (admittedly along with other European cars) just give you something that others can't. They're not just a tool to get from point A to B.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:29 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by McGovs2.7TB5
If that's the most issues you had over ten years that's pretty ******* good.
I would have to agree. If you beat the crap out of your car it's going to break down no matter if it's a Audi or a Ford. If you treat it well and it's a well built car, it will last a long time but you have to be willing to throw some money in it. If all you have to complain about is a waterpump, cup holder, and instrument panel....be very very happy

Old 11-26-2013, 09:13 AM
3rd Gear

Exactly, he didn;t change anything that wouldn;t normally be changed during that time period. We've all had to replace water pumps and timing belts, if your shop didn't do them together then you should find a new shop.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear

if the dealer did the TB without the water pump...go somewhere else. As far as the front end....totally agree with everyone...it's simple. People get scared. In actuality, I can have my whole bumper and front end off in around 30-45 minutes. But, I have taken it off a few times-but it's NOT HARD. As for cup holders...hahahaha....they always break...most of the B5's I see when I'm in europe didn't come with a cup holder...it was an afterthought for the US I believe....As for the rust statement...my B5 came from MN (they use salt there), it has over 294,000 miles on it with NO rust ANYWHERE, I can still punch it and go go go gadget....and my clutch is going to fail any day now...but, with 294,000 I'm VERY happy with that....I have maintained mine, but can't say I haven't abused it over the past 12 years I have owned it.....great cars....

Old 11-28-2013, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
I never know what to say when talking about

That is what I love about my B5.

No rust on the chassis, no rust in structural areas.

European cars, especially Volvo, have been notorious for zinc-chromating or putting the metal through other protective processes that prolong the life of your chassis by at least double.

Every American or Jap out there has corrosion problems.