B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Acceleration Hesition>>Blinking Check Engine>>Solid Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Administrator

That's what my guess was in the second post. Don't buy them on ebay and don't pay someone else to install them. It's seriously one of the easiest things you can do on these cars. You probably don't need all four but if you want to buy them just for the sake of consistency or just in case, buy them here:

OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

Your engine code is ATW, so you're going to want to look for any of the coil packs in that list that say "ATW up to 2001.5 model years."

When you go get your codes pulled, it may point you to exactly which of the four coil packs is suspect. At the very least, it will give you some more info to work with.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
That's what my guess was in the second post. Don't buy them on ebay and don't pay someone else to install them. It's seriously one of the easiest things you can do on these cars. You probably don't need all four but if you want to buy them just for the sake of consistency or just in case, buy them here:

OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

Your engine code is ATW, so you're going to want to look for any of the coil packs in that list that say "ATW up to 2001.5 model years."

When you go get your codes pulled, it may point you to exactly which of the four coil packs is suspect. At the very least, it will give you some more info to work with.
Oh ECS tuning I have bought from them in the past. Good stuff and good prices. Thats a good call. You say replacing the ignition coils is easy. I can build my first PC when im 14, I can make $2000 a night playing poker, I can teach myself how to make websites in HTML, but I have no mechanical skill with cars. How easy is easy? Do you know of a guide book or tutorial somewhere, maybe a website or youtube to do this?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Administrator

If you can build a PC you can change coil packs, I promise . With your year, a coil pack is basically an electronic ignition box. Except instead of one big box running all the spark plugs, you get 4 little ones, one for each plug. In American cars this is often referred to as "coil-on-plug" ignition.

When you open your hood, you'll (hopefully) see something like this:
Name:  Avant1.jpg
Views: 8379
Size:  146.3 KB

There are three plastic fasteners that hold the engine cover on, thats the black plastic bit that's got the four rings logo and "5v Turbo" on it. Once that's out of the way, you should see something like this:

Now depending on which coil packs you're currently running, and whether or not they were replaced and when, yours may not bolt down like the ones in this picture. Thats ok, no big deal. Its just a different design that Audi updated to keep them from popping out.

Unplug the wiring harness from the coil pack. If yours bolt down, un-do the bolts and yank. If no bolts, just yank. The spark plug will stay in the head and the coil pack will slide right out. Install is the reverse of removal, easy as ya like.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
If you can build a PC you can change coil packs, I promise . With your year, a coil pack is basically an electronic ignition box. Except instead of one big box running all the spark plugs, you get 4 little ones, one for each plug. In American cars this is often referred to as "coil-on-plug" ignition.

When you open your hood, you'll (hopefully) see something like this:

There are three plastic fasteners that hold the engine cover on, thats the black plastic bit that's got the four rings logo and "5v Turbo" on it. Once that's out of the way, you should see something like this:

Now depending on which coil packs you're currently running, and whether or not they were replaced and when, yours may not bolt down like the ones in this picture. Thats ok, no big deal. Its just a different design that Audi updated to keep them from popping out.

Unplug the wiring harness from the coil pack. If yours bolt down, un-do the bolts and yank. If no bolts, just yank. The spark plug will stay in the head and the coil pack will slide right out. Install is the reverse of removal, easy as ya like.
Easy as pie, and I doubt mine will be bolted because this car has not had much mechanical maintenance over the years. Thats prolly why I have this (super annoying) problem too Audi A4 Turbo Humming Noise - YouTube

Old 08-27-2011, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

Check the spark plugs. I was having a simiar issue. Previous owner put in some Denso triple electrode plugs. Needless to say the gap was like .040" - .050" and these coils are just too weak for a gap like that especially in a boosted engine. Replaced the plugs and gapped them to spec. Hasn't misfired since. Also check with A Zone on the spec for the coils primary resistance. You can check this with a multimeter. Can't test the secondary on these coils.

Last edited by Nvrgvup; 08-27-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:35 PM
2nd Gear

It would be a good idea to just replace the plugs first since these engines eat them up pretty quick. Get NGK bkr6e (part no. 6962 I believe) and gap them to 0.032". If you still have the same problem, it's probably a coil pack(s) issue. If you still have the same issue after all that, you might have to replace a vacuum line going from the turbo to the N75 valve or the N75 to the wastegate. There could be a hole or crack in it causing an overboosting problem. This happened to me which made the car misfire and took forever for me to figure out the problem.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

Got the code pulled its P0302 cylinder 2 misfire. Still not sure its a spark plug, coil pack, or vacuum hose issue but I am going to start with the easiest for me which is the coil pack. Snap em in and good to go. Either way if one thing on this car fails the rest soon go, spark plugs, coil packs, wheel bearings, JV boot, headlights, etc. Hopefully the new coil pack will take care of this, cars got 116k miles this is about when this mechanical stuff starts failing anyway

Old 08-27-2011, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear

I'm surprised nobody hasn't mentioned this.....Do this first,go to your local Audi dealership and give them your Vin number,its located on the title to the A4 or below the windshield on the driver side.

When you give them this,ask them if your A4 is covered under the Coil pack recall,that is in effect for A4 B5's.

My 2001 A4 B5 was covered under the recall and as a result,Audi replaced all 4 coil packs free of charge,no questions asked.

It's a 50/50 chance your A4 is covered under the recall,if it is covered you just saved yourself a decent chunk of change.

Good Luck!