B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Aftermarket Head unit install problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 AM
2nd Gear

now ive gone from irritated to pissed off.

why?

because, my harness/plugs look identical. I've gone over everything a million times.

everything worked perfectly before starting. the picture of the kit, is exactly what i ordered.

Last edited by NHolzschuh; 03-04-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:09 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NHolzschuh
now ive gone from irritated to pissed off.

why?

because, my harness/plugs look identical. I've gone over everything a million times.

everything worked perfectly before starting. the picture of the kit, is exactly what i ordered.
Have you used a multimeter or spot tester to see if your remote wire coming from the new head unit is sending a signal to turn the amp on?

Doug

Old 03-04-2011, 02:09 AM
2nd Gear

double post

Old 03-04-2011, 02:10 AM
2nd Gear

i also have a relay wired to the "remote-on" wire, and it is in fact powering that(i know because its what allows me to watch DVD while driving, which i can do).

i should add, yes i have tried disconnecting the relay from the remote-on wire to see if that was the problem.

now i know my harness is wired correctly for the RCA cables(as far as i can tell from diagrams and such) but i haven't been able to show power on the RCA cables. is that normal? i dont have a meter i just have a tester which shows whether or not there is power.

Last edited by NHolzschuh; 03-04-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 AM
2nd Gear

Name:  StPaul-20110304-00023.jpg
Views: 3992
Size:  78.8 KB
this pic is of MY factory head unit. symphony I
Name:  StPaul-20110304-00022.jpg
Views: 4009
Size:  77.4 KB
orange(connected) black tape over white and gray(all connected properly) yellows, memory/power(connected) red, 12v power(connected)
of coarse there is a blue wire(remote on) wich attaches to a blue wire on the red aftermarket plug(which holds the RCA cables)
Name:  IMG-20110304-00021.jpg
Views: 3962
Size:  65.3 KB
the top black factory plug attaches to the bottom black plug of next pic
Name:  IMG-20110304-00020.jpg
Views: 3952
Size:  74.8 KB
0110 (speakers)

0111 (1=pin) this plug attaches to the top factory plug of previous pic
Name:  IMG-20110304-00018.jpg
Views: 3993
Size:  82.6 KB
this black plug attaches to this red plug (the right sides of both plugs attach to each other)

refer to metra kit posted in previous posts.
pix are huge but i feel that it helps

Last edited by NHolzschuh; 03-04-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 AM
1st Gear

i also have a relay wired to the "remote-on" wire, and it is in fact powering that(i know because its what allows me to watch DVD while driving, which i can do).

i should add, yes i have tried disconnecting the relay from the remote-on wire to see if that was the problem.

now i know my harness is wired correctly for the RCA cables(as far as i can tell from diagrams and such) but i haven't been able to show power on the RCA cables. is that normal? i dont have a meter i just have a tester which shows whether or not there is power.
First off when you say tester, do you mean a screwdriver looking thing with a pointy end with a wire connected to it and a clip on the end? If not then get one or a multimeter.

You need to confirm that you are getting power from the remote wiring coming from your head unit to the wiring harness at the OEM amp. Disconnect the wiring harness to the OEM amp and clip your spot tester to ground. Now turn on your stereo and touch the white wire with the pointy end of the tester and see if the light turns on. If is doesn't then something is screwy with your relay setup. If it turns on then we can now rule out the remote wire.

RCA should show some voltage movement when you test it while the unit is playing sound. Is there a setting inside the player that turns the RCA's on or off? I know with my old Pioneer, it had the option to turn off certain sets of RCA just in case you wanted to use your deck to power the speakers and visa versa. I suggest getting a multimeter at your local hardware store. I picked one up for 9.00 on sale and it has proven it's weight in gold. You can also take your spot tester and ground the clip and insert the pointy end into RCA's coming out of the new head unit. You should see faint pulsing light in accordance to the music that is playing. If you don't then you something is up.

If you do get pulsing then it's not the head unit. Time to move on to the kit wiring harness. Plug in the kit wiring harness RCA's to the head unit's RCA's. You can test in two places; where the kit wiring harness meets the OEM harness and/or at the OEM amp wiring harness. Start where the OEM/kit wiring harness meet. Ground your spot tester and stick the pointy end into one of the rear RCA OEM plug wire or down into the hole where the crimp end is connected to the harness on the OEM side. Whichever is easier. Test to see if you have the pulsing same as before. If you do then confirm what colored wire from the OEM, blue or green I believe.

If you don't then something in the wiring harness is not matching up. This has nothing to do with diagrams that you have followed but what wires are physically in what position in what connector. Forget about what you have tried and rewire this thing if that's what it takes. You have to confirm that the RCA you got pulsing from your first test is connected to the correct wire in the OEM connector heading to the rear amp.

Try these tests first then get back to us.

Doug

Old 03-04-2011, 02:48 AM
1st Gear

Can you show me the back of the red plug in it's entirety with RCA connectors and everything?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:21 AM
2nd Gear

well i can definitely tell the rear speakers are doing something u can hear the tiny tiny buzzing of speakers, and if u touch the RCAs to metal u can hear a rumble/static sound.

umm the red plug is
white green
blue black
gray purple

white/gray = front speakers(unused)
blue = remote on, black=ground(prewired to the RCAs)
purple/green = back speakers.
[this is looking at it, as its shown in the pic]
if you really would rather see a pic i can run back out there.

yes i tried the white/gray RCAs just in case.

now im really hoping not, but may have come to the conclusion the rear RCA inputs on the h/u maybe to blame =( i really hope not but they have mini LEDs under each set of 2 RCAs they never turn on.

Last edited by NHolzschuh; 03-04-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:40 AM
2nd Gear

Name:  StPaul-20110304-00026.jpg
Views: 3984
Size:  92.0 KB
this is all i have to test, it has 2 LEDs, 1 pos., and 1 neg.
Name:  StPaul-20110304-00024.jpg
Views: 3973
Size:  77.5 KB
this is the harness plug u wanted to see the back of, consists of the RCAs, ground and blue remote-on wire. here u can see the actual wires
Name:  StPaul-20110304-00029.jpg
Views: 3871
Size:  59.3 KB
same thing, but here u can see the prewired RCA grounds.
Name:  StPaul-20110304-00027.jpg
Views: 3907
Size:  71.0 KB
this is the unused RED FACTORY plug
Name:  StPaul-20110304-00028.jpg
Views: 3847
Size:  70.4 KB
back of FACTORY RED UNUSED plug (the red plug in the background on the right is the metra wire harness plug previously shown)
just thought id show that plug just in case its of any use, as of now it is useless to me.

now my only question is, the remote-on wire, isnt wired to the RCAs(only to the same plug) or anything other then the Headunit, is it wired in the factory harness to power the AMP?

Last edited by NHolzschuh; 03-04-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 AM
1st Gear

Ya the remote turn on should only be connected from the new deck to the kit harness then to the OEM connector then to the connector at the mini amp. If you are getting sound from the rear speaker of any sort then the remote is working and it's the RCA signal coming from the head unit. Test for the pulsing at the head unit's RCA when you have music on and see if you get a signal. I don't know if an LED will pulse like a normal filamented bulb but this is where a multi meter come in handy. Have you checked the manual to see if there is an electronic on/off switch for the low level signal cables (RCA's)?

Doug

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Head unit install problems