B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Aftermarket Head unit install problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:36 PM
2nd Gear

Morpheous, I went with this model cuz I like having easy access to plug in media, also I think having the buttons on the sides gives it a slightly more stock-look. Not to mention I only paid $260 brand new with warrenty.

Ok so I'm pretty sure all I need to do is run my remote -on wire to the amp wire. So I need to know what color it is and/or what plug it runs to. Also I need to know if I should run a wire from the factory remote-on wire or from the aftermarket harness to said amp wire(or if it even matters) also,
Any idea how to get better rado reception? I heard the B6 requires the remote-on wire to be run to the antenna wire, do I need to on my b5?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear

Morpheous, I went with this model cuz I like having easy access to plug in media, also I think having the buttons on the sides gives it a slightly more stock-look. Not to mention I only paid $260 brand new with warrenty.

Ok so I'm pretty sure all I need to do is run my remote -on wire to the amp wire. So I need to know what color it is and/or what plug it runs to. Also I need to know if I should run a wire from the factory remote-on wire or from the aftermarket harness to said amp wire(or if it even matters) also,
Any idea how to get better rado reception? I heard the B6 requires the remote-on wire to be run to the antenna wire, do I need to on my b5?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 PM
2nd Gear

Now I have a problem, everything in the contral console stopped working, radio, climate control and fog lights. I'm assuming I popped a fuse? But wich? Or wht coulda happened?
This installation is becoming a nightmare.

found the fuse, idk what it was called, was the first one in the second length of fuses.

Last edited by NHolzschuh; 03-03-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear

The only issue i had,when i installed my headunit,was the radio fuse kept blowing,15 was the fuse if i remember correctly,it was pulling too much power,so i had to get a separate amp for the 4 speakers and another amp for the sub woofer,never blew a fuse after that.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:53 PM
2nd Gear

no fuse problems any more (i think 15 was the same for me) i still just don't have power to my rear speakers. ive watched tons of videos done every possible research i could and have found nothing.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear

I dunno man,i bypasses the rear amp and went aftermarket rear speakers and amp,maybe you should do the same.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 AM
2nd Gear

im thinking about it, i just didn't wanna do aftermarket speakers until i had money for a real amp/subs. to be honest i dont have the extra money for speakers right now either.

im trying to save my cash for my TBelt job(wich i know i can do myself, but my car is financed so id rather have the warranty)
im also paying down all my creditcards and trying not to put anything on credit . saving up for a newer S4(next year) or similar without trading in my baby.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:01 AM
1st Gear

FYI their are 2 install kits for our cars i got mine from my local stereo shop but they had to order it... the difference between the two is that the one i have came with 2 plugs to be able to use the amp with the rear speakers(sub woofers).

type 1. dosent have rear speaker amp
http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/689

type 2. has the amp plug
http://www.amazon.com/AUDI-A4-Facepl.../dp/B004NG1KDI

just me i hate when people cut factory wires.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:09 AM
2nd Gear

ya i dont wanna cut my factory wires.

ok so i have something similar to type one, but i also have a harness for the RCAs/rear speakers.

type 2 looks like the one i seen for the B6+
also i called bestbuy(ya i know, not the BEST place for info) and they said the one i have is the one they use and had just done the installation on a 98 2 hrs before i called.(it was the same guy who DID the install)
the type 2 you posted also says for nonpremium NONAMPLIFIED, makes me hesitant.

i was hoping to stay with all Metra brand but that plug maybe what i need. all i need is the plug tho. any idea what the model number is for that plug(type 2)?

this is what i have http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1787-...9219093&sr=1-2

Last edited by NHolzschuh; 03-04-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

Just to confirm do you have this wiring harness?

Was everything working fine before you took the OEM head unit out? i.e. sound out of the rear speakers? If so then you have to confirm if the wires coming out of the kit wiring harness match up with your OEM wiring harness. Your kit wiring harness should have come with a wiring diagram telling you which colored wire is which. Take that list and wiring harness and get your OEM head unit.

Taking a look at your OEM head unit to get the pin out diagram, you should see something like this.

Now compare the "Line-Out" section of the 20 pin connector going to the car that looks like this

to the pins of your kit wiring harness. RF should match up with one set of RCA, RR with one set of RCA etc. and the White wire should match up to the remote wire on your kit harness which is usually blue with white stripe. If any of these are not in the same position then the car is getting the wrong signal. You will have to swap the positions that are mixed up by using a bobby pin or terminal extractor or as a last resort, cut and resolder. I personally would manipulate the wiring on the kit wiring harness as I don't like to fart around with OEM wiring.

If everything matches up did you hook up the RCA cables coming from the new head unit to the RCAs on the new wiring harness? Is the wiring harness at the back of the rear speaker/OEM amp connected?

As far as running cables to the back of the OEM amp, you don't need to as everything is already done for you. All wires are already there and you can tap into low level outputs and remote wires if you add a sub amp.

There is a logical explanation to why this is not working and you just need to follow some steps to troubleshoot what is wrong. Do these test and get back to us. Maybe post up a picture of what wiring you have done (high res please). Good luck.

Doug

Last edited by Cybersombosis; 03-04-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Head unit install problems