B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

brake warning beep/ abs lamp

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 PM
1st Gear
Default brake warning beep/ abs lamp

I had issue with my brake calipers in the front on my 2000 audi a4 1.8 ts quattro,

Now I have worse issues, After replacing the calipers, the cables for the brake pads got damaged, after replacing first on one side it started beeping and the display that usually can show consumption, temperature etc now only flashes with a !

after changing on the other side where we accidentally ripped the cable apart, I can conclude that the ABS lamp is also permanently lit, also the orange brake warning light above the display is also on.

Can all this be the result of just the cables to the brake pads being disconnected/broken, ? or what else could we have ruined in our clumsy attempt to resolve my braking issue ? the brakes work just fine but I have to get an MOT and they won't like all the lamps and the beeping.

Advice will be much appreciated, thanks

Old 04-08-2012, 10:48 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

There could be a couple of different things going on that are causing your issues. Your ABS module may be bad (coincidentally to working on the brakes) or, more likely, you damaged something in your "clumsy attempt to resolve" your braking issue.

The first thing you should do is to get a scan and see what codes are in the computer. Also, check the brake fluid level. You may have to add some fluid, or bleed your brake lines because some air was introduced into the system.

good luck

Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
There could be a couple of different things going on that are causing your issues. Your ABS module may be bad (coincidentally to working on the brakes) or, more likely, you damaged something in your "clumsy attempt to resolve" your braking issue.

The first thing you should do is to get a scan and see what codes are in the computer. Also, check the brake fluid level. You may have to add some fluid, or bleed your brake lines because some air was introduced into the system.

good luck
Thanks buddy,

Will have the scan done asap, fluid level seems okay, we did bleed the brakes and they feel fine except there might be just a tiny bit of air, I had slight bit of air in the system before without it ever setting of any lights,.

We were in a bit of a hurry when we did the job so cables and connectors may have been a bit ill treated, I know the brake pad thickness sensor cable got ripped off on one side,

But I don't see why that should set off the ! warning