B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

car not starting - ignition switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Default car not starting - ignition switch problem

Bit of background:

While driving home last night I noticed my a/c fan blower would not turn on to blow any air. It didn't matter if the a/c button was pushed or not, no air would blow. Upon parking the car at my house and turning the car off, I found that the blower would turn on with the key in the accessory position.

When I pulled the key out, it was hard to put it back in and once I got the key in, she wouldn't start.

I pulled the ignition switch to replace it, but the part I got at the parts store is close but not the exact switch. It plugs into the harness, but it doesn't fit in the lock cylinder housing side. I will try to replace it tomorrow.

I went ahead and plugged the new ignition switch in anyways, to see if I could at least start the car. I plugged it into the harness and turned the switch with a screwdriver. The dash turns on, accessories etc, but it won't start the car.

I then pulled apart the old switch because I could tell the mechanism inside was broken anyways. A little plastic piece was broken inside, by the spring end. I superglued the piece back in place and let it sit for awhile to harden.
When I put it back together and installed it in the car, the power and accessories turn on, and the switch action seems to work, but it won't engage the starter.

I have since taken apart the old switch to see if the plastic piece was still glued in place and it is. I've re-assembled it a few times and tried it but no go.

Tomorrow I hope to pick up the correct switch if it is in stock here and we'll see if she will start up then, but I am worried that it is still not going to start.

Do I have to do something special with the key or vagcom to reset the computer to get it to start? Is there a way to force it to start by shorting the wires?