B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Class action lawsuit re: B5 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Administrator
Exclamation Class action lawsuit re: B5 A4?

Mornin guys,

Just got an email from my dad. Apparently I received a letter (mailed to his house for some reason) regarding a class action lawsuit against VAG, here's what he said:

"This lawsuit involves all owners of Audi A4’s from 1997 – 2006, B5 and B6 platforms. In the lawsuit states that Audi was aware of a design flaw that would allow water to fill up the passenger compartment through the sunroof drains and fresh air vent, but did nothing to repair it. (sound familiar?) The lawsuit further complains that the damages from the water ingress, and subsequent damage to the carpeting, drying, cleaning, replacement of said carpeting or padding and potential damage to the wiring harnesses is eligible for reimbursement through the settlement. Audi has been required to set up a fund of $8 million for these claims. They have also revised the maintenance schedule for these cars and now require you to take them to the Audi dealer every 2 years to get the drains and fresh air intakes serviced.

It gets more interesting……..the above is the main part of the lawsuit, there is a “subclass” to this lawsuit for the same known defects. This includes model years 1997 – 2009 of the VW Golf, GTI, Jetta, Cabrio, new Beetle, Passat, Toureg, Audi A4, Cabrio, A6, Allroad, or A8 including the S and RS versions that were imported into the U.S. either for lease or for sale. Each has a portion of the settlement with VW and Audi that is different than that described for the owners of 1997 – 2006 A4’s above. They did also say that claims for personal injury (including physical, psychological, or mental injury) for death, or for damages to property other than that described above will not be accepted. They have been released as part of the litigation.

So my take on this is that a whole bunch of people had the same thing happen that you did. Car filled up with water. They got pissed and filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of all the owners and people who leased in order to get Audi and VW to pay up for damages. What this also tells me is that all the cars listed in the lawsuit could have, at one time or another, been filled with water which could cause obvious damage to the carpeting or not so obvious damage to anything electrical that was near the floor including the wiring harness."
Just thought I'd give everyone the heads up!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 AM

Here's more info about this settelment:

https://wateringresssettlement.com/

Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM
5th Gear

why didn't i get a letter about this. i get letters from my local Audi stealership promoting all kinds of crap but why not this. grrrr.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Just go to the settlement site and scroll down to:

'I did not receive a Notice. How can I tell if my vehicle is included? / How can I get get a copy of the Notice materials, including a Claim Form, if applicable?'

It will tell what to do next, July 23rd is the deadline to submitt claim forms.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

wow! my 99 A4 does the exact thing mentioned, fills up with water, once it sat parked for a few weeks without me knowning the water was in there, MOLD!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:40 AM

Received mine yesterday when my car was in the shop for something else.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

this is really funny because i just got that letter a couple of days ago and yesterday when i did my oil change i noticed that my rear floor behind me was soaked. i took a shop vac and sucked up as much water as i could along with the floor mat but i still had water there. im guessing this has to do with the lack of cleaning out the sunroof drain? and is there any way to clean that out without bringing it and paying 831274 dollars to have them do it or should i just bring it there and have them do it and replace my floor?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Default wet carpet dilema with lawsuit.

I just got my letter yesterday and have been having the same issue - that primarily under the drivers seat there is a hard crustation of crap that has dried on the carpet from it being wet. I though it was something we spilled at first and steam vac'ed it out and then it reappeared shortly thereafter.

I just paid another shop to clear out my vents about two weeks ago. Now I am wondering do I go and have the carpet replaced and then submit a claim? How long will it take to get reimbursed? Is this where I pay Audi $500+ and then wait 8 months so the lawyers can collect their $30mil payment (for their fees as stated in the notice) and then disburse it amongst themselves before settling the claims side...

How annoying.. I wish Audi would just handle this.

2002 A6 2.7t Q

Old 05-11-2010, 02:58 PM
4th Gear

I am sure glad I ordered my A4 with the NO sunroof option.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Got my letter today (curious since I've never taken it to a dealer). I don't have any of these issues or symptoms of them in the past but I am interested to see how this all turns out.

Quick Reply: Class action lawsuit re: B5 A4?