B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

climate control freezes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 PM
1st Gear
Default climate control freezes?

every once in awhilei will turn my heat or A/C on and for some reason it wont turn off. it doesnt do it all the time but when it does do it, its really annoying. its not really like sticky buttons cause they all move in and out freely, they just dont work. its like it freezes in whatever position its in and it wont turn off until i let the car sit for several hours. but its not just that it wont turn off, whenever it freezez, all the buttons freeze and i cant change anything. so if i turn the heat on full blast at first in the morning, it will freeze in the position and then i have to drive all the way to work with the heat blasting and the windows down cause its too hot. i also sometimes get a smell of something burning, like burning wires, but i cant find any burnt wires tho. i dont know if it could be the same problem or not. any ideas???

Old 03-26-2008, 04:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: climate control freezes?

nobody has any ideas what causes this?? it seems like every post i make doesnt get any replies until like a week later....

Old 03-26-2008, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: pete7

every once in awhilei will turn my heat or A/C on and for some reason it wont turn off. it doesnt do it all the time but when it does do it, its really annoying. its not really like sticky buttons cause they all move in and out freely, they just dont work. its like it freezes in whatever position its in and it wont turn off until i let the car sit for several hours. but its not just that it wont turn off, whenever it freezez, all the buttons freeze and i cant change anything.
your not alone, same thing happens to me and i'm yet to find a solution.. sorry i can't help though

Old 03-26-2008, 08:07 PM

your climate control unit took a shi+, hense the burning smell. take it out and take a good hard sniff of it. i bet it stinks like burnt up electronics. there is your reply

Old 03-26-2008, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

so helpful!

Old 03-27-2008, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

but if my climate control took a **** then why does it work perfectly fine 90% of the time? and i have gotten the burning smell like 3 times, so its not like its everytime i turn on climate control. is there a way to know for sure that its the climate control module before i just go buy one and hope it fixes it? cause i have a pretty good feeling that if there is some kinda of operational check for it, that its going to pass since it works perfectly, just freezs sometimes. but i guess your right tho, what else could cause it to freeze like that other than the module itself

Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM

well, plug in a vag-com and see what the deal is, or pull it out and let your nose tell ya . chances are its a bad solder joint or the board is just toast. as it heats up, it expands and is most likely causing your problem.