B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Does a stock A4 B5 1.8T throw you back in your seat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Does a stock A4 B5 1.8T throw you back in your seat?

I'm driving a stock A4 B5 1.8T with approx 130,000km on the odo.
The only other turbo car I have ever driven was a Nissan Silvia with a RB20DET in it out of a Skyline R32 GTS-T. That engine was also stock with about 90,000km on the odo.

The AEB is rated at 110kW and 220Nm.
The RB20DET is rated at 158kW and 264Nm.

I believe the AEB stock produces 7psi.
I believe the RB20DET stock produces 10psi.

Both cars weigh approximately the same.

I clearly remember the Nissan throwing you back in the seat as the turbo was producing boost. My Audi doesn't. There is a slight surge of torque as the turbo starts spooling but then it's pretty flat in regards of throwing you back in your seat during the mid to high rev range.

Do your Audi's throw you back in your seat or are they fairly flat/smooth in the top end? I am paranoid that I may have a boost leak and may not even be producing 7psi. When letting your foot off the accelerator, there is a slight fluttering sound. Not a loud fluttering sound like what you hear on a turbo car with no blow off valve but a very silent one. Similar to how a cricket sounds at night!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 AM
2nd Gear

The A4 1.8t is a luxury sedan, whereas a Skyline GT-R is one of Japan's fastest 2 door production sports cars. You can't even compare the two (in any way, shape or form).

Having said that: I think my (relatively) stock A4 has plenty of pull, but I also have a 2001.5 (which has 10-12psi. stock - 170hp) and a 5-speed.

I'm not sure what your stock specs are, but you can always chip it, free up the exhaust and intake (just a drop-in filter, no crazy CAI BS.) and I'm pretty sure you'll have a monster (considering what it is - A luxury sedan).

Hope that helps.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:27 AM
1st Gear

Mine "pulls hard" but it does not throw me back in the seat. If I press on the skinny pedal it goes pretty good. Now my '67 Mercury Cougar with the 390/325 Cobra Jet pushed me back so hard I had to hang on to the wheel. Of course it got about 8 mpg but I'm just sayin'.....

Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 AM
2nd Gear

If you want to be pushed into your seat you ate going to need something bigger than the stock k03 turbo. These cars are heavy and only come with 150-170hp (at the crank) stock which is not much different than a Toyota Camry. However, you can definitely make it fast, and it's a great looking and driving car

Old 02-27-2014, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

I'm absolutely happy with it. If I wanted a performance car, I would've bought a sports car. I just wanted to make sure that my perceived lack of power is just that...a perception compared to other turbo cars and not something like a boost leak.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 AM
2nd Gear

Ya, they just are not powerful stock. Especially if you have quattro, as that takes even more drivetrain power from your engine

Old 02-27-2014, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

Do you guys experience a slight noise when taking your foot off the throttle. Like a turbo flutter but extremely quiet? The only noise I can compare it to is a cricket chirping at night for a couple of seconds.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
1st Gear
Default B5

Yeah my Audi after I put in the stock ECU was not really impressing but still very nice. I have a 1998 AEB 1.8T Quattro 5speed. I do get a kick back when I have my chipped ECU in. The flutter or chirp is your diverter valve.....hard to hear but sometimes you can.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear

Is it like a "Tutututu" or like a "whoosh"? If it's a whoosh it's just your diverter valve, if it's the former you dv might be bad causing the pressurized air to go back through your turbo in the opposite direction instead of into the turbo inlet pipe

Old 02-27-2014, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
Is it like a "Tutututu" or like a "whoosh"? If it's a whoosh it's just your diverter valve, if it's the former you dv might be bad causing the pressurized air to go back through your turbo in the opposite direction instead of into the turbo inlet pipe
It's not a "Tutututu" like a conventional turbo flutter but it's also not a "whoosh" like you would hear out of a blow off valve. It's sort of in between. It's like the sound of a cricket chirping at night really quickly for a second or two.

If the air was going back to the turbo, I think the sound would be a lot louder.

Quick Reply: Does a stock A4 B5 1.8T throw you back in your seat?