B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engine Build questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine Build questions

So I'm coming up on doing a straight swap from a 2.8 DOHC to another (lower miled) 2.8 DOHC.

Once I take out my original engine I'd like to do a complete rebuild on it. Ideally I'd like to get a decent deal more HP out of the engine. So I plan on

-Installing a Cold Air Intake kit w/ Heat shields
-Installing a PES-G2 Supercharger
-Upgrading the camshaft gears
-Upgrading the pistons
-Boring the block from 2.8 up to a 3.0

It's going to be a VERY long process to do the build alone, so I'll be doing the intake and shields before the swap.

Once the Engine is out I'd like to move it up to a 3.0 in order to help it compensate for the power the G2 is going to need to run along the belt before it manages to blow off into the engine.

I've considered looking into an upgrading the crank and fuel injectors, but I hear that really takes a toll on the engines life.

That being said, I figured it'd make more sense to run lighter harder in the way of pistons and upgrade the camshaft gears as well to achieve slightly better engine timing (though honestly camshaft gears kinda confuse me a bit).

I'm not entirely sure how much extra BHP I'll get out, but by the time I finish the car I want to be able to approach 300hp. Whether or not that's even possible for this engine... I don't know.

I have heard that the stock drivetrain can take up to about 350 horses before it becomes too much. I'd prefer to not have build an entire car...

I finished a hi-flow cat back exhaust with a res delete and added an extra (glasspack) muffler in favor of the stock single muffler. And I'm working on a drop and stabilizing the car through coilovers and replacing the bars through the car.

Just throw ideas at me. If anyone has any experience on an engine build that'd be great.