B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engine mount replacement cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Default Engine mount replacement cost?

Recently I've noticed a hard thump up front when I accelerate fast off from a dead stop. I had to get an inspection today (not at an Audi mechanic) and he told me I had a broken engine mount. I had thought it was my upper control arms going bad, again. He said the best way to know was to put the car in drive, keep a foot on the brake and give it gas, and sure enough it did it.

Has anyone had to pay to have an engine mount replaced and can give me an idea if this is an expensive repair? Any ideas?

I've got 110k miles on it and trying to keep it running so my 16 old can have it when he gets his drivers license but I've got a laundry list of things needing repair and starting to question it.

My control arms are making a creaking noise.
My left cv boot is clicking when I turn. I just replaced the right axle for the same reason 6 months ago.
My Audi dealer says it is time to replace the timing belt and water pump and they want $1700 for that.
To do the above (not including the engine mount) the Audi dealer wants about $2500.

What should I do and in what order?? Not sure I can drop $2500 into right now. Not sure I can get much more than that with a trade in.

I love this car, it is a blast to drive. It is still strong and lightning fast, handles great and is pure fun to drive.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Engine mount replacement cost?

First, do not change the type size and font. Your post was basically impossible to read w/o putting my face on the screen.

The engine mounts are not to tough, you just basically need a jack and hand tools. The timing belt shouldnt cost you more than $800 if you buy an ecstuning.com kit and take it to a local shop and have them install it. The cv boot can be done yourself or pay someone a few hours of labor for it, not sure about changing out the control arms.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator

^^ what he said. On the mount issue, send a PM to sineo - she did hers and said it wasn't too bad other than one nut that was a pain in the ***. Overall, it sounds like a pretty easy swap.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 AM
3rd Gear

Whatever you do, don't buy eBay engine mounts! I did and now I'm waiting for 034motorsports' street density mounts so that I can RE-do the job with parts that won't fail in 25 miles. The job is very much of a pain in the ***. You don't need any special tools, but you need an afternoon. I can knock it out now in about an hour and a half, but the first time took me 4 hours (I had to stop and start a lot).

Old 05-13-2008, 05:49 PM

I wish I had the skills to do this myself but I have to take it to the shop. What do you think a shop would charge me?

Do you think it would be easier to do while changing the timing belt? Should I do them together or would it not matter?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:07 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: audi1999

I wish I had the skills to do this myself but I have to take it to the shop. What do you think a shop would charge me?

Do you think it would be easier to do while changing the timing belt? Should I do them together or would it not matter?
They'd probably charge a couple hundred in labor. Get 034's motor mounts...they're a little bit more expensive, but they won't fail like OEM mounts do and they're $150 for the pair. You should have the shop do them at the same time as the timing belt...having the front end off might make the job a little bit easier (the only hard part about the job is removing the bolt on top of the mounts). I'm a big fan of DIY stuff, but that job sucks...it's probably worth paying someone.