B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engine runs extremely hot, is it normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:01 AM
Legal Moderator

as for the spark plugs the new one looks like it is gapped ALOT less than the old ones (plus they look like hell!!!!) just my observation, might not be correct if you regapped them. and as far as the cam chain goes, isn't it a cam belt? im new to audi's too but im pretty damn sure there isnt any chains in there, only a belt...

sorry for the edit but i remember another thing. i was driving up north on my sled and made an emergency trip to the hardware store for some plugs. they didnt carry the special ngk's for cats (its br9neya versus the regular br9nes) so i got the comprable champions. my sled ran like absolute **** after that so i switched back to my old ngk's (mind you there were close to fouled, and its alot more of an issue running a two stroke sled versus a four stroke car were oil isn't mixed with the gas) and i will NEVER buy another champion plug my enitre life. only my experience though...

Last edited by redline380; 10-20-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
as for the spark plugs the new one looks like it is gapped ALOT less than the old ones (plus they look like hell!!!!) just my observation, might not be correct if you regapped them. and as far as the cam chain goes, isn't it a cam belt? im new to audi's too but im pretty damn sure there isnt any chains in there, only a belt...
You have a good eye! However, the new spark plug wasn't gapped yet as I just pulled it out of the package to take a picture for comparison. However I did gap them appropriately, albeit it was a little hard since the electrode metal part is quite strong.

As for the cam chain, there is a chain as shown here.
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...594#post942594
It seems to be a common problem on the 1.8T engines. Many people start having symptoms by hearing what sounds like marbles roll around in their engine when the engine is running.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:59 AM
Legal Moderator

oops, my bad. forgot it was a dohc engine! it would actually makes sense for a chain then. like i send im new to his stuff. much more used to an american v6

Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Site Moderator

Cool. Is there oil on the top insulator part or the bottom ground part? If on top then you need a new vave cover/plug hole gasket and if on the bottom, it's probably just saturated from misfiring. Worst case would be bad rings, but thats highly unlikely. As for the rattle get your head under the hood and rev it.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Cool. Is there oil on the top insulator part or the bottom ground part? If on top then you need a new vave cover/plug hole gasket and if on the bottom, it's probably just saturated from misfiring. Worst case would be bad rings, but thats highly unlikely. As for the rattle get your head under the hood and rev it.
Thanks for the advice, I included pictures of my spark plugs a few posts above on page 2 of this thread. There is oil on the bottom electrode and looks like either rust or a little burnt oil on the insulator. Either way, I think it sounds like I need new valve cover gaskets. Why would it be unlikely that it's bad rings?