B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

exhaust and intake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:06 AM
1st Gear
Default exhaust and intake upgrade

want to do some mods on 1.8t a4 1999. I know these questions have been asked a million times but..dont know much about cars.
Question 1 - what is the reasonable gain with upgraded exhaust in terms of hp?
Question 2 - what is the best cheapest exhaust system?
Question 3 - Site where to get it?
Question 4 - cold intake why get it?
Question 5 - which one to get?
Question 6 - where to get it?
Question 7 - what is included in exhaust system and cold intake and is anything else separateneeded to buy?
Question 8 - before chipping the car what other stock parts need to be upgraded?
thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: exhaust and intake upgrade

The cheapest would be custom for both the intake and exhaust. the intake won't yield any gains, just a lot louder turbo spool/DV noise, the exhaust you might see maybe 15hp? if that.. I'm not sure.

Before chipping you have to get an upgraded DV, and you should get a boost gauge.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: bosnianac

want to do some mods on 1.8t a4 1999. I know these questions have been asked a million times but..dont know much about cars.
Question 1 - what is the reasonable gain with upgraded exhaust in terms of hp?exhaust isn't going to really give you much of a hp increase... mainly throttle response and maybe louder turbo
Question 2 - what is the best cheapest exhaust system? cheapest system is to get custom pipe into a muffler..... i got a magnaflow...... google can be your friend
Question 3 - Site where to get it? google audi a4..... you will find a ton of sites with stuff..... plus there are alot of site sponsors
Question 4 - cold intake why get it? to hear your turbo/dv, and more throttle response
Question 5 - which one to get? diy intake is cheapst and just about as good as the $400 carbino, nice thing about carbino is sealed box with carbon fiber top
Question 6 - where to get it?google it, check out the diy
Question 7 - what is included in exhaust system and cold intake and is anything else separateneeded to buy?i would get a test pipe and 2.5 inch from test pipe back, so you have a 2.5 in turbo back exhaust........but if you have money to burn, you could pay upwards of $1000 for a full system..... or get an axle back as little as $300-$500
Question 8 - before chipping the car what other stock parts need to be upgraded?
thanks in advance. not really anything, but shortly after you will need to upgrade your dv..... also i would invest in a boost guage first

like i posted read... read again... and re-read that article, chaos put alot of effort and good info into it...... and you will find all these answers w/ sound clips of exhaust on there and probably suppliers web sites too
the blind leading the blind:
https://www.audiforums.com/m_700266/tm.htm

Old 03-08-2008, 05:17 PM

^beat me to it

dude, all those answers are here in the link. if you would have read this, there would be no need to ask those questions.

https://www.audiforums.com/m_700266/tm.htm

Old 03-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Guru

there have been alot of threads like these recently........ even after chaos updated the newbie guide...... and i know it has been brought up before, but is there anything we can do to not git these simpleton type of thread?

give them a probation period? something? make them answer a question aire before getting full privelages?

i mean we have had a few guys in the recent past who were new to audi but not cars..... and knew what they wanted, just wanted to talk to some who have used different types of products, but this is back to the noob status of a few months ago

Old 03-08-2008, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: bosnianac

Question 1 - what is the reasonable gain with upgraded exhaust in terms of hp?
Question 2 - what is the best cheapest exhaust system?
Question 3 - Site where to get it?
Question 4 - cold intake why get it?
Question 5 - which one to get?
Question 6 - where to get it?
Question 7 - what is included in exhaust system and cold intake and is anything else separateneeded to buy?
thanks in advance.
I don't mean to be rude when I say this, but independence from others is favored in this forum. A legitimate question to ask would be "what are your experiences with your exhaust, and would you recommend it based on its quality?" as opposed to "what should I get?"

Everyone's opinions are different -- thusly, you need to ask them what they feel about their own systems, then go and do research for yourself. Your car is yours, and yours only; we can't make decisions for you, only influence you to buy what we have bought. Ultimately, you need to go out and pick up bits and pieces of information regarding parts you're potentially interested in, and compare them to others. Doing that instead of asking us these questions would be much more beneficial to your own knowledge, and it will prevent certain members from turning up the heat in the forum.

Once again, I don't mean to be rude. I just want to make it very clear that the 100% best thing for you to do is to use us to help you differentiate between two things; not to pick for you. For example, you can ask us "for those of you who have done a custom flowstack intake; what made you do so as opposed to the Carbonio and the EvoMS intakes, besides the price? I've heard that there are several differences, including _________________, and I've tried searching for this question specifically, but it has not been answered. Can someone help me out? Thanks"

You see the difference? I'd be more than glad to help you -- just give me a starting point. Do some research, come back with specific questions, and we'll all help you to the best of our ability.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

I did what leifer did for the most part and have found just about everything i needed and wanted to know between AF, AZ 4T, and AW. These sites have saved me lots and lots of money that would have potentially wasted on products that werent as good as others. So this is my thanks for all the writeups DIY's and FAQ's.