B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Flashing CEL

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:08 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Flashing CEL

2001 Audi a4 2.8 MT flashing CEL having misfires in 1, 2 ,3... I brought it to the mechanic and he told me basically to cut my losses with the car.

When hooked to the Computer it pulls codes for the misfires in 1,2,3, has very low compression(about 40 psi), and it also pulls a code for the cam sensor being way out of place. The mechanic believes it is because the Cylinder head is cracked or gouged. He also said it could be an issue from one of the chain tensioners in the back of the motor skipping

Please help ive had the car only a month and would like somebody to shine some light down on me

Old 06-20-2012, 05:21 PM

misfires can be because of the ICM but with all those symptoms seems like a timing issue does it run still?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

it does run, backfires like a bastard and the power is very inconsistant.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Legal Moderator

sounds to me like your timing is off. was the timing belt recently serviced? or it also could have skipped.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 PM
1st Gear

The timing belt was checked tuesday because i was hoping that was problem. The mechanic said that everything was lined up and good to go there. Is the camshaft spun from the timing belt, i feel that it most definitely is a timing issue or of course as my mechanic said bad cylinder head or a valve issue....

Either way the motor has 140,000 miles, unfortunate i only had the priviledge to put about 400 of those miles on the car since i just picked the car up the first week of May.
My mechanic strongly suggested to not put the money in to fix the motor because it takes 5 hours to take the motor apart to actually see what happened and if it is a cracked cylinder then a replacement would be over $1000 not to mention the labor, however I talked to him today and mentioned Buying a newer motor and installing that. It will cost about 1800 for the motor and another 1000 for install but it should be a sound motor.

So a few questions...what problems past the motor with 140,000 should i be waiting for to happen

do you think it would be a good investment buying a motor with like 90000 and installing

any comments are appreciated

Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Administrator

First off, how did he verify that the timing was correct? The 2.8 has no timing marks on the cam sprockets. He would really have to remove the front of the car as well as the upper timing covers to fully verify that the timing belt hadn't jumped and that all the sprockets were still timed correctly. He'd have to pull the valve covers (involving new VC gaskets to verify that the cam chain tensioners were still healthy and keeping the intake cams phased properly with the exhaust cams.

He sounds half-assed to be honest - he's throwing **** out there to get the car off his back. Go somewhere that knows Audi and can actually diagnose. I agree with redline, that the passenger cylinder bank is timed incorrectly, due to mechanic's error or a belt that jumped a tooth, or that the CCT has allowed the cams in that head to lose relative timing. Every symptom you have - misfires, cam sensor fault, loss of power, etc - points to a timing issue, not a cracked cylinder head or a bad phase of the moon.

Please go to your User CP on the forum here and enter your location. A lot of us work on these cars and if you're near one of us, we can probably handle the job for quite a bit less than a shop.

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 06-20-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

Im new to Audi so i was just taking his word for it. I really dont see why he wouldnt just do my timing belt if that is the issue they claim to do anywhere from 2-5 per month and only work on euro cars so I know it is a big project but I also know he wants to make money....As anyone who has ever done their timing belt knows that you probally would want to be certain before doing the job 1. because it takes a good 4-6 hours. and 2. cost about a 1000.

Im really not ready to quit on this car and if anyone is real handy with audis any help would not go unlooked. Im in the Berkshires of Massachusetts with plans of moving west to Colorado next month (still would like to)

Please any more comments or anyone in the area that would help even just help me diagnose exactly what is wrong you will be taken care of...I will check the forum reguarly but if anyone would like to speak over the phone (413)652-1863 name is Ryan