B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Foglights on without headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

^ When you figure that out, Devil, if you could so generously generate an idiot proof, picture laden DIY for it, that'd be great

Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Yeah except I like everything integrated and looking like it came that way from Audi. I'll probably just redo the wiring my own way rather than as the DIY instructed, so it'll work in my early 99.
well this is what i was thinking man buy a oem fog switch and put it in the dash wire it up to the ignition for an on and off than run the wire wrap it in the plastic caseing make sure its all hidden and there u go and what i did was i did all that but put a switch under my dash u cannot see it at all if u take off the under belly of the dash theres holes under there, i put the switch through there with no mods and put the nut on the other side, u cant see it and u wont knw its there unless u look hard =]

Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Administrator

I have 4 or 5 OEM fog switches (actually, several spares of each dash switch) but I'll be using the OEM switch. I just have to ohm out the wiring to find which wires I am going to mess with. I want all the illumination to work like factory and I'll just add wiring as needed. I have one under-dash switch that used to be the bypass for the lawyer screen on my DVD player but I've reprogrammed that so it's not needed. Currently it runs the LED accent strips in my airdam but I'll be swapping over to another OEM fog switch soon.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear

yep how much are those switches btw? oh and ive been want to do the silver trim in my car like you did previously what paint do i buy whats the process i hate the wood it just doesnt seem sporty enough for me

Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Depends on where you get them. I've pulled them at salvage yards (I do that kind of thing a lot with random parts for future as-yet unplanned projects, just-in-case spares, or if people need parts). Let me know if you need one and I can hook you up with one.

As for the painting, I used a metallic silver craft paint. I sanded it with 600-grit paper, washed and dried it, and then shot it with four light coats. Let it dry for a few hours (even if it feels dry, when you press it back in, you can put fingerprints in it), and then reinstall. I didn't use clearcoat since that can plasticize the look. That was it.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:23 AM
3rd Gear

nice im trying to get the silver look like the newer audi's

Old 10-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Administrator

If you want that look, find someone selling the "aluminum" trim from a 1.8T and use the Audiworld DIY on creating burnished/brushed trim. That'll get you closer than any paint treatment will.

Cragman, no sweat - once I'm done with it I'll post up the how-to.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:26 AM
3rd Gear

yeah if i gotta buy it i prob wont do it.. what color paint did you do on the bottom on your car i had my car all sanded down on the bottom and newspapered off and than i went to autozone and couldnt find the paint color

Old 10-09-2009, 08:40 AM
1st Gear

the easiest way and one of the cleanest is wiring it to the rear fog light switch its clean you can hide the wires and its an easier spot to soder. plus if you live in a state where if your fog lights are on a toggle you wont pass insp. its a good hinding spot. or is you dont have heated seats you can take a dummy socket out of your dash and mount your toggle there. i would dip into the head light harness so they work high low. its easy to splice in and if you ever needed to reverse it you can

Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Administrator

The paint for my lowers came from a paint shop. Look in your spare tire well - your sig says your car is a 1990 so I assume you meant 1999. Your paint is probably LY7M silver (look for that paint code on the decal). I gave them the code and they mixed up the two-stage factory paint and put it into aerosol cans for me. I got two cans of automotive clear as well, and then masked off the car and painted the trim. Two coats of adhesion promoter, three coats of filler primer, and five coats each of paint and clearcoat. I still have to wetsand and buff it to finish it off. I've been lazy and also wanted it to cure fully before I sanded it.

Took a long time (7 hrs or so) but it was worth it. You won't find matching paint at the parts store. The later Audi silver has a Duplicolor match but not the pre-facelift cars.

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 10-09-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Foglights on without headlights.