B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Ground up overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Ground up overhaul

Ok so this is my first post on here so bare with me lol.

2001 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t Auto with tip.
78,000mi
All stock

This is my first car and ive had it for almost 3 years now and put on about 30k miles. Ive been wanting to fix it up since before i owned it but have never been exactly sure how or were to start. ive done some basic work on cars and if you explain something to me chances are ill understand it but never any work on imports. Id like to know were to start so here are my goals.

Exhaust
Chip
Turbo
Suspension
Braces
Pullys
Timing Belt
ect...

I know its not manual im not to thrilled about it either lol but imma do the best i canwith it. im basically lookin for 220-250hp just something i can have fun with and keep up ya kno.

I also want it to last and im not to sure on the engine condition. most likley beyond my mechanical skills but what would it cost to tear down and clean and rebuild the engine maybe throw some rods n such in.

also whats the best order to do things in like chip then exhaust or the other way around ect...

thx much

Old 11-11-2010, 04:34 AM
2nd Gear

Engine rebuild is costly, and your rods are good unless you decide to go big turbo. Pulleys aren't going to be super cost effective as far as power, and the only one that comes to mind is the ECS lightweight one. Exhaust can be expensive if you buy from a company like techtonics or borla. I had a shop fabricate one with a Magnaflow muffler for under $400. By braces I assume you mean strut bars and sway bars. I've heard getting new sway bars are good, but again, it'll cost you. Be sure to get metal end links for your sway bars as the stock plastic ones will snap. First mod should probably be a chip, and the general consensus is that GIAC is best for the B5 models. That should net you between 30 and 50 horsepower and similar torque, which could potentially put you around 200 horsepower. Get a K&N drop in filter, and thats about all most people do for intake. If you live in a dry area you can do a swiss cheese mod to your air box, cutting holes in it for better suction and more noise. You risk hyro-locking the motor though.

If you're looking for more power than a chip will net you, you can do a KO4 turbo upgrade. Thats the turbo that came on the european RS4 and has a little more aggressive turbine impeller. That should be good for 250 horses with the right supporting mods, and there are chips for that to make it pretty plug and play.

I'll let other people talk about suspension, but as far as other things go, you could look into a front mount intercooler, a brake upgrade using rotors from an audi A8 (ECStuning.com), upgraded diverter valves, high flow catalytic converter or test pipe and be sure to pick up a boost gauge. They are invaluable on turbocharged vehicles. Congratulations on your new Audi, and my condolences to your wallet. Welcome to the forums!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Check the sticky posts at the top of the forum - everything you asked is covered there and they'll give you additional info along the way as well. Welcome and enjoy the car.