B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How to make my engine rev quicker

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:39 AM
2nd Gear
Default How to make my engine rev quicker

Does anyone know why our engines are designed to wind up and down so slowly? I drove my friend's 1.8t Jetta and could make the RPMs jump right up and down as if there was very little resistance. I had a 15lb steel flywheel installed on my car during my clutch job, but it didn't seem to change this problem very much. I've heard of a lightened crank pulley for our cars but also heard it throws the engine out of balance. Is there any safe reliable way of making the engine wind up and down quicker?

Old 06-19-2009, 07:30 AM
5th Gear

yes, a fully built engine but that'll cost you grands

Old 06-19-2009, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear

9 pound flywheel, knife edged crankshaft, lighter pistons/rods, lighter and/or underdrive pully set (which isnt really a good idea).

Old 06-19-2009, 11:14 AM
4th Gear

The dual mass flywheel on the A4 makes the rpms and throttle response feel very lazy. Even going with a single mass steel flywheel will make the engine respond much quicker to throttle changes. Another thing is the dbw setup, most tuners try to increase the throttle response by changing the value.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
yes, a fully built engine but that'll cost you grands
I actually plan on getting a fully built engine around the time my car is due for its next timing belt. I'm just trying to learn a little more about engine mechanics and such first.

Originally Posted by ghost6303
9 pound flywheel, knife edged crankshaft, lighter pistons/rods, lighter and/or underdrive pully set (which isnt really a good idea).
I was actually thinking of doing what you're suggesting not to do, ghost. What's the reason it's not such a good idea?

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
The dual mass flywheel on the A4 makes the rpms and throttle response feel very lazy. Even going with a single mass steel flywheel will make the engine respond much quicker to throttle changes.
I actually had a 15lb single mass steel flywheel installed and didn't notice much, if any of a change in throttle response. Should I have gone lighter?

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Another thing is the dbw setup, most tuners try to increase the throttle response by changing the value.
How does this work? Can I do it with my VAGCOM on my 2001?

This abundance of new information kinda' makes me feel like a noob, lol.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:48 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by a2thy

I actually had a 15lb single mass steel flywheel installed and didn't notice much, if any of a change in throttle response. Should I have gone lighter?

How does this work? Can I do it with my VAGCOM on my 2001?

This abundance of new information kinda' makes me feel like a noob, lol.
You should have seen some difference in how he engine rev's up with that flywheel since its close to 10 lbs lighter then stock. If you didn't then something else is causing the engine to have poor throttle response.

No you can not, it has to be changed by the tuner, my old GIAC chip was set to go WOT once I hit 25% of the throttle. It was set that way since I raced the car nearly every weekend.

Are you running a chip? Beause I dont see one listed in your sig.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear

The lighter flywheel may have changed it a little, but I didn't notice. Guess I should have made some measurements or something.

Something else I just thought of, didn't think it might be related to this until now. Every time I launch, the power and RPMs go down for a fraction of a second before I get any decent acceleration. This happens about one second after the car starts to move and causes the car to "chug" regardless of how perfect my clutch/gas pedal footwork is. I know the clutch needs to be bled due to the point of engagement of the pedal, but would this really cause this kind of problem?

A chip is the next thing on the list, but I haven't made up my mind between APR, GIAC, and buying a used chipped ECU from the classifieds. Can a chip tuner safely change settings to make the engine wind up and wind down quicker?

Old 06-20-2009, 05:02 PM
4th Gear

No that wouldn't be a clutch issue. Could be that the car is bogging down because its not making enough power. All the chip tuners tweak the throttle response, so you should see a difference even using a OTS tune.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear

I planned on getting chipped anyway, so I'll see if that helps. I also have fault codes for post-cat O2 sensor and secondary air injection system, this wouldn't hinder acceleration though, would it?

Can a chip tuner safely change settings to make the engine wind up and wind down quicker?

Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear

Bump.

Quick Reply: How to make my engine rev quicker