B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How to make my engine rev quicker

Old 06-23-2009, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

I love to see what our cars are capable of. Which is why I hope to put some cocky SOBs to shame with my sneaky little A4.

I never hear any gear rattle with my 15 lb steel flywheel. I guess I should keep the one I have.

I'll be getting a small truck soon, which will take my A4's place as my daily driver. Reason being that I'm moving to Maine. The weather and roads up there are pretty harsh on vehicles, so I'd rather limit my Audi's exposure to them.

Once I get my truck I'd like to keep my A4 as a race car as well as a show car, so I'd like to keep it street legal, or at least close enough to being street legal. I don't think I could ever have too much power, as long as it was still streetable. Excessive G forces don't bother me a bit. I want my car to be really fast, but don't really want to eliminate the comfort aspect of it. I guess this means no lightweight crank pulley, no excessively lightweight flywheel, and no sufficient weight reduction. I'm sure there are plenty of other things I shouldn't mod if I still want my car to have a comfortable ride.

The engine from QED would be done on a core exchange, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be balanced unless they advertised that. I'll have to ask and see what they say. I didn't know you sold built engines too Mike, maybe something for me to consider. Would it be shipped from Cali? if so, that may be more than I'm willing to spend.

What would make a GT30R setup so much harder to build and maintain than one with an elim? Is it just the upgrading of internals? I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to turbo setups, most of my limited knowledge is based off the sticky on turbos and a few other threads I've read on here. Where else can I go to learn about all my options for a big turbo setup? I won't make any big purchases until I've become an expert on the subject and completely made up my mind on the engine mods and turbo I want. I'm just getting started now.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
5th Gear

don't worry about the Maine weather. my car was a Vermont car for 112k miles of it's life and the body and chassis are in awesome shape. even the exhaust is in great shape.

well with anything that is custom modded to an extreme, they're harder to maintain because of the knowledge behind all of it. you could get random misfires at WOT and not know why. it could be anything from fuel to air to ignition problem. i mean a stock engine could do that too but not as frequently and usually the problem can be found because somebody else had the problem. with a build, each engine is slightly different even if 2 of the same engines is built with the exact same parts. i'm sure mike can tell you in deeper detail what i'm saying though lol. o and keep in mind i'll be building a b5 that will beat mike's ; )

Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by a2thy
I
I didn't know you sold built engines too Mike, maybe something for me to consider. Would it be shipped from Cali? if so, that may be more than I'm willing to spend.
That is one option, another option is to just have a short block built using another block. When that is done it is freight shipped to your door step or the shop your dealing with for the labor. Then you just swap in the new short block and do what ever you want with the short block you take out of the car. You can sell it and end up making back a good amount of the money you spent on the new short block.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:51 AM
2nd Gear

hiwords, constant potholes and salted roads were never a problem for your car? I hear than in order to keep your car looking good and free of corrosion throughout the winter, you need to wash it at least once a week. I'm okay with a little additional maintenance from time to time, as long as it's nothing too serious. I still want to be able to take this car on road trips without having to worry about getting stranded somewhere. What do you plan on building?

Both options sound good Mike, if only I didn't live so far away. I'm thinking freight shipping something that heavy, that far, would be at least a few hundred dollars. I just had to pay over $200 for freight shipping a bumper from Virginia.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 AM
5th Gear

well there's corrosion but most of it is just surface corrosion. the only problem i've had is taking the pinch bolt off which seems to be a lot of other people's down south too.

for shipping, greyhound has a pretty good deal.

i don't want to speak too early yet. it's def gonna be big power though. i want to strive for 650 at the wheels.

Last edited by hiwords; 06-30-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:42 PM
4th Gear

hiwords, constant potholes and salted roads were never a problem for your car? I hear than in order to keep your car looking good and free of corrosion throughout the winter, you need to wash it at least once a week. I'm okay with a little additional maintenance from time to time, as long as it's nothing too serious. I still want to be able to take this car on road trips without having to worry about getting stranded somewhere. What do you plan on building?

Both options sound good Mike, if only I didn't live so far away. I'm thinking freight shipping something that heavy, that far, would be at least a few hundred dollars. I just had to pay over $200 for freight shipping a bumper from Virginia.
About $150 - $175 for freight shipping a short block across the country.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear

I had problems with the pinch bolts too, but it was no match for a 24" breaker bar. 650 at the wheels!?! That's insane!

$150 to $175 isn't bad at all. Makes me wonder why I spent so much for my bumper. As long as my block doesn't get damaged along the way, I don't care how it gets here.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 AM
4th Gear

I had problems with the pinch bolts too, but it was no match for a 24" breaker bar. 650 at the wheels!?! That's insane!

$150 to $175 isn't bad at all. Makes me wonder why I spent so much for my bumper. As long as my block doesn't get damaged along the way, I don't care how it gets here.
Freight shipping is based on measurements, that measurement will then have a shipping weight limit. To give you an example, I have shipped a few CF trunks to other countries. The size of the shipping crate had a shipping weight of 189 lbs but the actual total weight of the crate with trunk was about 35 lbs.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 AM
2nd Gear

Wow, what a crazy way of pricing things. Good thing our engines are relatively small.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:55 AM
1st Gear

I really hate to revive an old thread, but how would I go about setting the parameters for the DBW settings for better sensitivity?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to make my engine rev quicker