B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Ignition Power Stage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Sb5
1st Gear
Default Ignition Power Stage?

After having cylinder misfires, I took my car into the shop and they said that I have a faulty ignition power stage since when swapping the coils/plugs it still wasn't working correctly. I tried to look this part up online to replace it and all I could find was Ignition Control unit and Ignition Module. Is the correct part they were referring to the Ignition module in case of this situation?

Old 02-27-2012, 05:57 PM

They are all the same thing. Generally we call it the ICM (ignition control module) but you'll often see it called "power output stage" or other things of that variety. To my knowledge all it does is signal the coil packs to fire by amplifying the firing signals from the ECU. Newer coil packs (on ATW + engines) have an ICM built into each coil pack. I've performed a conversion from the AEB-style ICM/coil packs to ATW-style coil packs.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

Quick question,is power control module another term used for power output stage?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 AM

It might be possible, but in my opinion that terminology is a bit of a stretch. Why do you ask?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
It might be possible, but in my opinion that terminology is a bit of a stretch. Why do you ask?
I don't mean to thread jack, but MetalMAn.

Do you like the 2.0 conversion and what route did you go when doing the conversion?

I'm running a precision 5857 and i started experiencing knock on a lower timing version of my base file.
Could be my fuel pump, but im considering doing a coilpack conversion also.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by HulkB5

Do you like the 2.0 conversion and what route did you go when doing the conversion?

I'm running a precision 5857 and i started experiencing knock on a lower timing version of my base file.
Could be my fuel pump, but im considering doing a coil pack conversion also.

This thread jacking has been brought to you by esctunning and has been approved by the NTJA(National Thread Jacking Association)

Next time,do a proper thread jack,via letting the OP,know what is actually happening to him and that he is powerless to do anything about it,by saying.

This is a thread jacking,you are to surrender your thread and topic and discontinue discussing,your original topic and going forward,you are only to discuss the topic,which i set forth. This concludes my introductory thread jacking message. Have a good day....

Last edited by morpheous; 05-10-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by HulkB5

Could be my fuel pump, but im considering doing a coilpack conversion also.
I'm not actually running the 2.0T coilpacks, just your basic bolt-down, run-of-the-mill ATW coilpacks (they're really cheap!). The advantage here is they're cheaper than 2.0T coilpacks, and don't require those locking plate things to properly stay in place. Although I've heard 2.0T coilpacks are a bit better...

At the power level my car was at when I upgraded I didn't have any noticeable ignition issues. I merely upgraded because I HATE the ICM and stock AEB coils even though I never had a single issue with them. But now I have the peace of mind that I won't have any issues with them...

Anyways, I don't have the extra wires of the ICM, I don't have the crappy-looking AEB coils, and my plugges (BKR7E) are gapped at the 0.032" that they come out of the box at (though I still check each one before installing it). My idle smoothed out slightly and in general it felt smoother.

IMO, just do it! If you're comfortable with wiring and following wire diagrams and what-not (and checking with a voltmeter to ensure the diagrams are accurate), then go for it. It takes some time if you want the wiring to be neat, but it's worth it.