B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Intake questions

I am looking to grab a CAI. Before Im given the lecture I know it wont add power. I am looking for sound and I need a new air filter anyway. I took the airbox apart today for the first time and damnnn. The filter was black. Also I have done this to a lot of cars but this was something else. This is of course my first german car and also my first turbo car that I have ever worked on or owned. All of my passed experience is with NA Asian and American cars. That being said. Im trying to clear some things up. Here are my questions:

1. The air box is connected to the turbo inlet hose correct? (Trying to straighten out the lingo)

2. Intake manifold is on the other side. What is that hose going to under the driver side front headlight? I know its connected to the TB on the upper end. But would also like to know what its connected to at the other end.

3. I notice videos on youtube and other pictures I see they not only have the filter at the end of the turbo inlet hose but a little mini air filter attached to something else next the regular air filter. What is that for?

4. I was looking at this because its only $65. Amazon.com: K&N 57-0282 57i High Performance International Intake Kit: Automotive
About the piping. How do I hook up the MAF with this after taking it out of the stock air box? I figure I hook one end of the curved piping to turbo inlet hose and the other end is where the filter goes. I just dont know how the MAF fits into this. Also I noticed this kit doesnt come with the little mini air filter like say the evo intake kit does. Do I need that? All help is appreciated.

I know this questions may all seem super retarded but this turbo stuff is confusing me. Once things are all cleared up its gonna be a slap in the face.

Thanks, Sheasta

Last edited by Sheasta; 04-23-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Legal Moderator

1. you are partially correct. the turbo inlet is connected to the maf sensor, which sits in the airbox.
2. what size hose are you talking about? im guessing you mean he turbo outlet hose, which goes from the turbo outlet, the metal suppor bar which transfers the air to the intercooler under the drivers side headlight, which goes up to the throttle body via another rubber hose.
3. dont know what your talking about here either. pictures help. but im guessing for the secondary air injection. i could go on for hours about how stupid this thing is and how unneccesary it is, so dont get me started. but yeah, im sure its for the sai. its the exra hose coming out of the airbox on the bottom
4. all you need is to slap a filter on the maf sensor and take out your airbox. no need for the extra bend, which may actually hurt quite a bit by causing turbulence in the air, which in turn may mess up the maf readings. best be for an inake is just a simple, nonoiled cone filter on the end of the maf.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:31 AM
1st Gear

Thank you sir.

1. Thanks gotcha
2. Yea thats what I was talking about and I figured just clarifying. I've never seen an intercooloer located there before hence my confusion. Furthermore atleast top mounts ive seen on subarus look similar to front mounts. Thank you.
3. The little blue filter next to the actual air filter in this video about 5 seconds in pause it. A4 b5 intake. - YouTube
Also this guy has the throttle body to intercooler piping. Its better to have silicon for that correct?
4. Thats what I thought just making sure. edit: so dont get K&N filter because its oiled? Which brand should I get?

Thanks again redline you've helped me out a lot.

Last edited by Sheasta; 04-24-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 PM
1st Gear

Bump

I got a cone filter. Took the MAF out of the air box and put it in the end of the turbo inlet hose. Then put the filter on the other end of the MAF. Took the ICM out of the airbox and just plugged it into connectors and let in hang. The cars rpms were bouncing around and very close to stalling. I set up stock airbox and everything was back to normal. What did I do wrong? The guy in the video above literally has the exact same thing I did in the same location and has no problems. Except for that little blue filter next to the actual air filter which I still dont know what thats for.

Last edited by Sheasta; 04-24-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Legal Moderator

that little blue filter is for the secondary air injection, which i now know you dont have, so dont worry about it. about the car bouncing around during idle, you probably messed something up. from the sounds of i, you hooked the filter right to the end of the turbo intake hose? are you mistaking the icm for the mas air flow? the mass air flow is inside the air box, the icm (you only have one if your car is 97-99) i elsewhere. you NEED to have it setup like this; cone filter, mass airflow housing/sensor, turbo inlet hose. im guessing you did not do this, which would cause erradic idle like you mentioned having. this photo hould help quite a bit
Name:  airfilter.png
Views: 176
Size:  846.1 KB

Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 AM
1st Gear

I did hook it up like that - the curving tube which i dont have. Just have the cone filter on the end of the maf. Which i know is directional and hooked up in right direction. Mines the 99.5 but it does have the icm as well which is mounted on top of the air box with two connectors going to it one on each side. It says HUGO on it i think. But that shdnt affect it cuz i took it off the air box and pkugged it in and with it unplugged i dont think the car will even start. However i did take the little extension off of the maf if that matters. When you open the air box the maf has the seperate tube that kind of extends it held in by two phillips screws. I dont think this guy has it in the picture so i cant see it mattering.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

Nevermind im retarded and put the maf in backwards. I thought i put it in the right way 100% because i remember lokking at the arrow multiple times but still fucked up lol. Guess thats what happens when your in a hurry. I got a question though. Is that blinktekdesign heat shield worth it? ***** $90 but i figure i saved money on not wasting money on the curving tube. Plus it looks like it works well. Www.blinktekdesign.com

Old 04-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Administrator

From what I've heard, the guy that was making those went MIA for quite a while, screwing a lot of people out of a lot of time and money. There's a member here goes by the name "meloman" who makes very simlar heat shields of his own design. I recommend you get one from him instead. You could also make your own, that's what I did. A piece of aluminum sheet from Home Depot, some foam rubber insulating tape and a six pack of beer will get you a heat shield in a few hours

Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 PM
1st Gear

Hmm i want a nicey one though not just one i bend with a hammer abd ****