B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Looking to Revive My *Severely* Neglected A4 in Storage... Eventually

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Looking to Revive My *Severely* Neglected A4 in Storage... Eventually

Hi AF, it's been a couple of years since I last frequented this site - and a nearly equal amount of time since I have actively given my car any true love. I have a 98.5 30V which has been sitting in storage for about two years... for a number of reasons (traveling, suspended license etc.). At first I took care to make sure I ran the car at least weekly and maintained the tire pressure and its cleanliness... for about a year. However, for the past year and a half to two years the car has been idle, almost never started, sitting on all tires without any maintenance. ...I know, I know... (Again, for much of this time I was traveling - not that it excuses my negligence). What's more, the car must be stored for an additional year or so!
So basically, I'm just looking for some damage control and to start caring for it adequately for the remainder of the time it's being stored. The car has not been started in at least a year, the tires have never been rotated (during storage), and the fluids have never been drained. I have kept very little gas in the tank. The only positive is really that the car has been fully sheltered in an enclosed garage the whole time and not exposed to creatures or the weather. Having done some brief research on this site, I am planning to:

-rotate the tires and maintain the air pressure
-give the battery a boost to start it and then run the car for 30 mins weekly from now on (I'll replace the battery if I need to)
-clean the interior and exterior regularly

That said, I'm not sure if it's best to disconnect the battery (and reconnect it each time I run the car?) or leave it connected and buy a (trickle) charger for it. If I do disconnect it, should I take it out of the engine bay? Also, Should I maintain a full gas tank to avoid condensation or keep it nearly empty? Is it necessary/worthwhile to plug the exhaust tips, place moth ***** in the interior/trunk/engine bay, add fuel stabilizer to the gas, or drain any fluids? Is there anything else I can do to help protect the car?

What might be the effects of having neglected it all this time? Again, the car has been indoors and has only gotten very dusty and attracted some cobwebs... which have now been cleaned.

p.s. For what it's worth, I will be replacing much of the suspension and probably the tires before it is ever driven daily again... so whatever damage has been done there might not be a big issue.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM

If your planning to drive it I say you haven't done anything wagon. You kept it inside so nothing should have worn out to the degree it would have outside. For your battery if the car starts with it your fine. Nothing else needs to be done, the car will charge it as you drive, theres no need to trickle charge it or disconnect it ever time you park.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

That's definitely reassuring... almost sounds too good to be true! lol. It's going to sit for another year but I will be running the engine weekly now and eventually taking it out for spins weekly. And in that time, I will be doing some work on it (ie. coil overs, control arm replacements etc.). Will there not be any problem starting and running the vehicle using the fuels that have been sitting there for years? Should any filters be changed? Seafoam maybe?

Thanks again. Appreciate the quick help.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 AM
Administrator

Like said, the car has been sitting inside so it should be okay.

The fuel should be fine. I'd just start the car first and take it for a spin around the block to see if anything is broken/different. No one can tell you if things that are broken unless you start the car and get it running first.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Administrator

You may want to put a tiny amount of oil in each cylinder and hand-rotate the engine a couple times before cranking it - never know if the rings could stick a little on the cylinder walls. If they have, they could snap when you hit the starter.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

Alright, thanks. This all sounds pretty good.