B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My '99 2.8L Q-Tip A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, I mean't the pinstripe below the window line. Mine looks like one of those cheapo decals that were popular awhile ago, not something Audi would put on a car. That's why I thought it was just mine until I noticed it on Jaystacks car.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

yea i kind of like the line. could be only me though lol

Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Tech Guru

If you take a heatgun and wave it over the pinstripe one section at a time it should bubble up and you can easily peel it off. MAKE SURE TO STAY MOVING OR YOU'LL JACK UP THE PAINT.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by R. Johnson
Found this.

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

Lot of good reference material; not much on slotted vs. blank discs, but enough to assure me it doesn't matter for street use.

Has anyone here had problems with increased front bias after doing the A8/TT upgrade? Anyone done or seen 60-0 distance tests before/after the upgrade?
I had the A8/TT upgrade on my sedan and loved it. Not sure about exact stopping distance but I almost rear ended several people on my way home from buying the Avant because it didn't stop as well

As for blank vs. slotted vs. drilled, here's my $.02:

All things being equal (vented rotors with good pads) you're getting the advantage of more surface area for stopping with blank rotors. You'll also get more life out of your pads this way. Good for street use.

Slotted rotors are a good choice for the "spirited driver"/weekend racer type who still DD's his car. The slots help move dirt, brake dust, water, and other various forms of crud off the surface of the rotor. They'll eat your pads faster than blanks.

Slotted/drilled rotors are hardcore race pieces. 99% of street cars don't need them. The holes allow gases produced by hard braking to escape from between the pad and rotor, helping prevent brake fade. If you're driving fast enough, braking hard enough, often enough for this to be necessary on the street you've got bigger problems.

As you mentioned, most modern compound brake pads don't produce that much gas anyway. However I don't know that comparing F1 brakes to ours is a fair comparison. They use carbon composite rotors that are way cooler than anything we could afford

That said, many people (including me) buy the drilled/slotted setup because they look damn cool. . I plan on going with slotted rotors when I upgrade this car.

Name:  2010-08-08111242.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  105.2 KB

Last edited by CCA4; 01-04-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: tired
Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Tech Guru

if you want a set of 17's i am selling some black s4 wheels on ebay... pm me and lmk and i can end the auction if you do.... they will need tires though

Old 01-05-2011, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

Thanks CCA4, great post. I'm looking forward to the upgrade after I put some more miles on the car.

Took the car in for an emissions inspection Monday and it passed fine (it passed RI's, so I wasn't expecting problems), and I'll be taking it down to the DMV for a permanent registration Saturday. Afterwards I'll be heading back to the dealership to see about the coolant leak, and the thermostat. I think they will take care of it. They should have noticed this and the fuel gauge problem before I bought the car.

On a good note, I'm loving the car. I have an hour long commute back and forth to work, but instead of taking the highways I take back routes. Takes about 5 minutes longer but it is more direct and is a much nicer drive. One particular part is steep with sharp corners, and the car feels way faster through it than the Impreza RS I was driving. The Tip makes a big difference over a regular auto, for sure. Being in the right gear coming out of a corner is new to me...

Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

Felt the need to post since I'm missing my car. Dropped it off at the dealership I bought it at to get all it's issues taken care of on monday and still haven't got it back. With the snow storm we had up here his Audi mechanic (who is only part time) hasn't had much chance to work on it. He's saying it'll be ready mid next week...

He said the cause of the coolant leak was loose water pump bolts. Seems catastrophic to me for such a small leak, but sounds possible if they just weren't torqued down correctly. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait and I'll get it back with a clean(er) bill of health.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM
3rd Gear

The car looks great,,, i love the fact that your like the first person to ever read the stickies and research before you posted awasome!!!! congrats on the car its gorgeus im jelous =D

Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I've been on enough different forums to know the same old simple questions that get asked over and over again get really old. This place has an awesome faq section; the forum in general is well organised so, no reason for repeat questions IMO.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

Begin Rant/

Got the car back today. After a week and a half and many calls to the dealer I finally had enough of the BS. He fixed the coolant leak (I hope anyway; still need to check it in the daylight) but not the thermostat. Him and his mechanic were adamant the problem was the temp sensor, so they ordered a new one but couldn't put it in because the mechanics hands were to big to fit where ever the sensor is located.

When he told me this on the phone I almost lost it completely, so I decided to just pick the car up after work and fix it myself. I just wasn't getting anywhere with them. All the way to Newport (one hour+ drive) I asked myself why I didn't just walk away when I was looking at the car, but driving it back helped me remember why. I really am happy with the car, it's the completely negative experience I've had with the dealer that's killing me.

I should consider myself lucky that this is all that's wrong with the car (at the moment) but for what I paid I was hoping for better than average. Maybe I was expecting too much. Many lessons learned with this ordeal.

/End Rant