B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need help with leaking coolant location.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help with leaking coolant location.

1999 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T

The other night I was driving and noticed that while my car was sitting idle my AC would only blow warm air. After driving, the air cooled off to its normal sub zero temperatures.

I drove to the store, got what I needed, then came home. As I was parking I saw plumes of white smoke/steam pouring out of my hood. It came from the (if you're in front of the vehicle looking down at the engine) left side of the engine. After the car was off for about a minute I noticed my coolant reservoir draining and leaking all over the ground. I let the car sit and cool off overnight. Went back the next morning and filled the reservoir back up to just at the minimum line. Drove the car from its current position (in a no parking zone) to a safe spot and turned it off. I looked under the car and noticed a small drip of coolant coming from behind the engine (underneath the vehicle). I took a picture of where the coolant seems to be leaking from but am unsure of where to go from here as I cannot specifically locate what it's leaking from. If there is a diagram of what hoses/whatnot are under there I would be more than willing to investigate further that way.

These photos are of the area located pretty directly under the center console in the vehicle. The coolant has been dripping off the sides indicated by the red ovals.

Thanks.